problems with CHKDSK

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronire

Ok I know this crops up a lot on here but i've read through some posts concerning CHKDSK and none of them seem to relate to the problems i'm having.

I have Windows XP, and my computer is about 3 years old now.

It's been acting funny for a few months now but I just ignored it at first.
I noticed that my computer kept trying to run CHKDSK on startup but it always encountered a problem in stage 2 of 3 (CHKDSK is verifying indexes), it would get to about 78% and then say 'Unspecified error occoured'.
Then my computer would just start up as usual.

This didn't cause me any problems at the time so I didn't bother with it.
Then about a month ago my computer started crashing.
Even if no one was using it, it'd just be left on and running and it'd crash by itself.

This started to worry me, but I didn't know what to do so I left it.
It wasn't until my computer crashed at least 50 times in a night that I got really worried.
I thought I had a virus or spyware or something.
I used McAfee to do a scan, but about 2000 files in, it crashed.
I downloaded a few more amature programmes like Spyware Doctor and things like that to see if they worked, and they crashed too. I must have tried about 100 times on each scan, but it crashed every time.

I've also tried to install games into my computer since and about half way through the game setup my computer crashes.

I went onto defragmentor and tried to use it but it said my computer was already scheduled for a scan and it would run on startup.

But still the same problem.

'Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS.
Volume label is 53_02_43.

Then it does stage 1 just fine.
But as soon as it gets to roughly 70-80% on stage 2, it encounters an error and stops.

My computer still crashes, ranging from once a day to maybe 3 times a week.

I have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

I also just tried to disable chkdsk but that didn't work either?

How about the most obvious? Your hard drive is going bad? Test it with the manufacturer diagnostics utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back