problems with computers at uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

etones

hi, i have found out that the computers at my uni are having problems, i have emailed the admin, but they havent replyed. this is the error report, can anyone tell me what it means and il inform the admin team thanks. ps i dont have any admin privilegs so i cant do this myself.

Corrupted error report

Problem description

Unfortunately, the error report you submitted is corrupted and cannot be analyzed. Corrupted error reports are rare. They can be caused by hardware or software problems, and they usually indicate a serious problem with your computer.

Troubleshooting

Scenario 1: If this is the first corrupted error report for this computer

* Note any programs you have recently added your computer.

To check for recently added programs:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. In the Sort by drop-down box, select Date Last Used, and then select Show updates.

3. The Last Used On date typically shows when you installed a program. If you installed an update to a program, you will see an Installed on date.

* Note any hardware you have recently added to your computer, including random access memory (RAM), video cards, sound cards, or hard drives.
* Make sure that you have a good backup copy of your files. To make a backup of your files, you can use the Backup or Restore Wizard.

To start the Backup or Restore Wizard:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.

2. Follow the wizard to back up your files.

Scenario 2: If the corrupted error reports are persistent

* Note any changes made to your computer, including both hardware devices and software programs, that preceded the onset of crashes and persistent error reports.

To check for recently added programs:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. In the Sort by drop-down box, select Date Last Used, and then select Show updates.

3. The Last Used On date typically shows when you installed a program. If you installed an update to a program, you will see an Installed on date.

* Run any diagnostic tests supplied by the hardware manufacturer to verify that recently added hardware devices are operating properly. This is especially important if you recently added or changed random access memory (RAM) in your system. New or changed memory should also be tested with the Windows memory diagnostic test after using the manufacturer's test.
* If there are recent software changes to your computer, you can use System Restore to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. This provides a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

To run the System Restore wizard:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. Follow the directions in the wizard.

What actually causes the error? This is just some generic report saying absolutely nothing of any use. You didn't even tell us the stuff you were told to note down in this very text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back