Problems with file sharing & seeing some computers on a small network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi prospective Helpers,
I have that old chestnut - I can see & can't see different computers on my small 4.5 computer home Network
and have some file sharing issues .

It all started when I decided to reformat 2 of the computers & reload XPpro. (All computers are running SP2)

Note that all computers are on the same workgroup, have individual names & I have scoured this & other forums
& tried various suggestion including turning simple file sharing on & off - so far with no sucsess.
My New computer (lets call it PC2) is running Home edition XP the rest XPpro.
I have previously had this system operating & at one stage I managed to get one of the 2 rougues to work (how I don't know) but next
day when I powered up (after a bit of a power outage) I couldn't boot it up & had to go into safe mode & then go back in time to get it going.....
That now leaves me in this wierd situation:

PC2 & PC3 work perfectly accross the Network

PC1 can see PC1, PC2 & PC3 but not PC4 on Workgroup
PC1 can access shared folders on PC2, PC3 only
PC1 is visible on Workgroup on PC2 & PC3 & PC4 but access is denied to all

PC4 can see PC1,PC2 & PC3 but can't see itself on Workgroup
PC4 can access shared files on PC2 & PC3 not PC1
None of the other computers can see PC4 on the workgroup
None of the other computers can access shared files on PC4

I have switched Firewall off - still no go. Its like I've missed a check box somewhere to allow outside machines access.
Trouble is I'm blowed if I can find it :(

Can any of you gurus out there help me with some ideas please? I would much appreciate any clues.

Thanks

ok go to control panel---network connections---dubbel click on local area connection----click on propetries----click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)----click on install---chose protocol----then click on add---chose NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol----then click ok.
Restart machines. Succes

strange.. did u have another soft(firewall) that can block network traffic???
Try to ping other computers and look wat happens

actually it should works, if al PC's on same workgroup and have some share map. Otherwise maybe u can reinstall OS.

turn all firewalls of, restart pc's, wait 5 minutes and try to access computers or share maps again. dont forget after restart chek of all firewalls are disabled

I assumed your connected to a switch or router. If its an internet router or adslmodem router, try making sure DHCP is switched on and all computers set to obtain IP automatically. You could also try mapping network drives as this has working in a similar situation for me.

Ph30nIX said:
I assumed your connected to a switch or router. If its an internet router or adslmodem router, try making sure DHCP is switched on and all computers set to obtain IP automatically. You could also try mapping network drives as this has working in a similar situation for me.

Correct - Its ADSL modem. DHCP on all computers correctly set.
No success mapping

ZWERVER said:
turn all firewalls of, restart pc's, wait 5 minutes and try to access computers or share maps again. dont forget after restart chek of all firewalls are disabled

Sorry, again no success. I think its time for me to quit for today - I might try the reformat & reload the OS as previously suggested.
Thanks for the help
Cheers

Michael Rodent said:
Sorry, again no success. I think its time for me to quit for today - I might try the reformat & reload the OS as previously suggested.
Thanks for the help
Cheers

You welcome!!! and succes

Michael Rodent said:
I can ping all computers ... that is what confuses me
you need ports 135,139,445 to be opened on all systems with a share OR
which are to be allowed to access a share.

you also need all systems to have the same WORKGROUP name
(xp defaults to MSHOME).

your problem is zonealarm. it brings everything to a screaching halt. get rid of it. norton does the same thing.

To get around it in ZoneAlarm, you can set an option with trusted sites. You have to enter IP addresses for all the PC on your network.

Cool screen name ZWERVER, it's like drifter.

The Fix to Problems with file sharing & seeing some computers on a small network

Michael Rodent said:
Hi prospective Helpers,
I have that old chestnut - I can see & can't see different computers on my small 4.5 computer home Network
and have some file sharing issues .

It all started when I decided to reformat 2 of the computers & reload XPpro. (All computers are running SP2)

Note that all computers are on the same workgroup, have individual names & I have scoured this & other forums
& tried various suggestion including turning simple file sharing on & off - so far with no sucsess.
My New computer (lets call it PC2) is running Home edition XP the rest XPpro.
I have previously had this system operating & at one stage I managed to get one of the 2 rougues to work (how I don't know) but next
day when I powered up (after a bit of a power outage) I couldn't boot it up & had to go into safe mode & then go back in time to get it going.....
That now leaves me in this wierd situation:

PC2 & PC3 work perfectly accross the Network

PC1 can see PC1, PC2 & PC3 but not PC4 on Workgroup
PC1 can access shared folders on PC2, PC3 only
PC1 is visible on Workgroup on PC2 & PC3 & PC4 but access is denied to all

PC4 can see PC1,PC2 & PC3 but can't see itself on Workgroup
PC4 can access shared files on PC2 & PC3 not PC1
None of the other computers can see PC4 on the workgroup
None of the other computers can access shared files on PC4

I have switched Firewall off - still no go. Its like I've missed a check box somewhere to allow outside machines access.
Trouble is I'm blowed if I can find it :(

Can any of you gurus out there help me with some ideas please? I would much appreciate any clues.

Thanks

A BIG thanks to those that tried to help me through this annoying problem.
Now for the solution!

The problem ended up in the registry file.

Go to start - run & type "regedit"
work your way down the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, (click on RestrictAnonymous in right hand panel & select modify, enter 0)reboot the computer and retest the network connections. It worked for me.
I have to thank Winhlp.com for the solution.
Hopefully this will help some others out there in cyberworld.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back