Problems with first boot after installing Windows 98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I have just tried to install Windows 98SE on my machine only to discover that during the first boot, rght after the windows 98 splash screen pops up, my system reboots itself. Does anyone have an idea as to what could cause this?

I know any of you smart peoples who would know are going to need some more info - let me know what you need and I will get it. Any help is much appreciated!

So it turns out I'm a little smarter than I thought. I read somewhere a few minutes ago about win98 support for greater than 512 MB of RAM so I pulled out some RAM and now it seems happy.

Search Techspot

I've seen several posts about Win98 and large memory. There are answers, so you should be able to findit by searching this site. As far as I remember, it is done by preventing Windows using too much memory with it's cache, such that starting a thread takes it into illegal memory areas (so ar as the underlying Dos is concerned).

You need very little cache with 512Mb of memory, and Win98 in particular will run VERY fast with that much. Just set a fixed cache size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back