Problems with installing a .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi everybody,

I have problems with this very often, my computer is devided into several drives, of which the F:\ drive is the Windows drive. Now, i tried to install a demo, (exe file) and it automaticly installs to the F:\ drive. And i know what to do about it, just change ProgramFilesDir in Regedit. So i did, but it didn't work? Also, there is a Browse option when installing, but i am unable to click it, because it starts installing right away...

Can someone help me with this annoying problem?

Depends on how the programmers wrote that program
You could in fact allow it to install to F drive, then move the installed program to C drive, then create a new shortcut to the exe

Try that

You could in fact allow it to install to F drive, then move the installed program to C drive, then create a new shortcut to the exe

I would love to, but my windows drive is not made for installs, so it is to small for that :( and re-partitioning doesn't work.. any other options?

Start-->Control Panel-->System

Advanced Tab
Environment Variables Button

New (System Variables - bottom one)

Variable name: ProgramFiles (note: no spaces)
Variable value: C:\Program Files (note: one space)

Ok
Ok
Ok

Restart

Install again

Just tried, didn't work. However i found out that it is Self-extracting first (WinRAR Self-extracting Archive) this also moves all files to the F drive, is there any way to change the self-extracting path?

lol :)

That always makes me laugh :)

If you decide to ask another question, I'll just say, just search for it.

Actually I'd say all questions have been answered online, and many here at TechSpot

I found this
But you stated that you already tried this

Samstoned said:
on some apps it's as easy as changing path name for the icon
some not so easy the registry will need edited
and some dll's may need re-reg'ed sometimes this is automatic all is a headache
there are 3rd party softs that will move programs
I have not used for some time
when last I did they where slow and in some cases locked up the machine
if you only have like 2 or 3 I would try to move manually ,but any more and man reload a lot look for that 3rd party program to move them they may have gotten better

good luck
have a happy 2008
:chef:eek:h Ya librium :chef:
welcome to Techspot
a litl edit;
the software vender has put this default path in the exe file to make it more automatic
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.
this is a quicky for xp pro maybe same for vista I would not think there's diff between 32 path and 64 bit paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back