Problems with Internet Explorer on a Wireless Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I don't know if you have experienced such problem, but hope some of you can help me on this...

I am using my wireless laptop in my room last night, and once of a sudden, I cannot go to most of the websites on IE. I tried yahoo, hotmail, and all of them just returned as "Cannot Find Server/ Page cannot be Displayed." There are a couple websites that work such as tdbank, hsbc (sounds really weird, right??!!!). I don't have problem with my icq and msn either.

So I totally have no idea of what's going on. I tried to use another browser (firefox), but it didn't work, and then I tried to connect my laptop directly to the modem with the wire, and everything works perfect!!!

So it shouldn't be any firewall or connection problem...then what is going on here? Can someone please help?

By the way, I am using the Belkin wireless G router

WindowsXP conflict with 802.11 wireless?

I have a very similar problem with my ACER laptop.
It's new, and the first week everything was fine but the second week the web page problem started. I can't open Google.com and a few other sites.
IE always says "page cannot be displayed". Firefox says "operation timed out".
Unlike in the previous case, Yahoo is fine. MSN,Microsoft, Symantec and most others also no problem.
It all started after I downloaded a bunch of WindowsXP patches from Microsoft and the latest Norton Anti-Virus definitions on August 27, 2005.
I've fiddled with so many settings in IE, WindowsXP, and Norton Anti-Virus that I can't remember them all, but nothing has an effect.

I use my laptop's built-in 802.11g wireless card(broadcom) and I suspect a conflict between the latest WindowsXP Updates and the newest wireless protocols. Or maybe there's some new, unrecognized Mal-ware out there.

I've read too many postings about a wireless laptop all of a sudden not opening some websites in August 2005. Or did the same person post around different sites?

Rename the file %Systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to hosts.old.txt
and replace it with the attached file (rename it to hosts)
Right click on HOSTS, go to properties and make the file READ/ONLY.

This file contains a mapping of known IP address to domain names.
You can map your personal LAN systems here and avoid the need for a DNS,
or use the 127.0.0.1 -> $anything$ to AVOID going somewhere bad.

If you edit the attachment, you can remove anything you want access to by
adding # to that line, OR permanently delete that line. Everything herein is a
known untrustworthy site :)

verify that a direct connection works correctly, and then
connect via the wireless adaptor and reverify.

IF both work correctly, your problem is solved. If not, you can always go back.

Attachments

• Hosts-file-sorted-by-name.txt
    30.4 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back