TechSpot

Problems with mini pci wireless card

By inthedontknow
Sep 12, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys thanks for looking.

I recently bought a dell true mobile 1150 wireless series mini pci card for my laptop along with a pair of antennae to install in my inspiron. It didn't come with any drivers but I managed to download the latest driver and client manager from the dell website. The installation seemed to be fine but I can't seem to detect any wireless networks on it. I shut down the computer last night and when I woke up this morning it was working fine but after I rebooted again It wasn't able to my wireless connection.

I have verified that the radio is turned on and power management seems fine what else could be the cause?

thanks,

edit: the firewall on my computer is also disabled
  2. inthedontknow

inthedontknow TS Rookie Topic Starter

also i've just upgraded the firmware of my netgear fvm 318 router but still no luck
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Do you have any wireless buttons/switches you have to press in order to activate it? Or maybe some Fn key combination. Usually there is such a lock mechanism that lets you turn off and on the wireless.
  4. inthedontknow

First of all I would like to thank you for your prompt reply.

The combo to enable the wireless card for dell pc's is Fn+F2 I have already tried that before without luck.

When I bought this Laptop it wasn't wireless enabled so I had to buy a mini pci wireless card and internal antennae cables, any other ideas anyone?
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Quite often you have to right-click the Wifi-icon in the System tray, and select "find a connection" or something like that.
    They don't come 'on' by themselves.
  6. inthedontknow

Thanks for the reply,

I have done that in fact I refresh the network list a few times but it still does not detect any wireless network.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
  7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Do you have a wireless setup, or do you just have a laptop, that can also do wireless?
    Without a WAP (wireless access point) wifi is no good to you.
  8. inthedontknow

Yes I have a WAP, could it be a problem with the antenna?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.