Problems with monitor/possibly vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonese26

I'm having problems with my computer/monitor/graphics card. I don't know which one, but sometimes when i start my pc up the computer starts, i can hear everything whirring away, but the monitor is a blank screen, with the light flashing. If i press a button on the monitor, it displays the message "Monitor in power saving mode". This only happens sometimes, very randomly. Usually it fixes with a restart, but this arvo when i restarted it just kept doing the same thing. I checked all the cables, opened up the computer to check everything's plugged in, it all seems fine. After about three hours of stressing, and trying to work out whats wrong with it, my sister comes home and turned the computer on, and alas, it worked! This is extremely annoying and i dont know when its going to happen next.

Also, even though its working now, my display has a sickly bright yellow shade. It's very weird. Can anybody help me?

Yeah that's what i thought it mite be too. It only started happening when i installed a new 6600GT AGP card. My power supply is 350W... do u think thats insufficient?

I can't remember where it tells you the voltage readings off hand, and I am unable to install it on this computer for some reason. If someone doesn't come along and give you a pointer on how to find it before I get home tonight, I'll do it once I do get home.

In the meantime, you can search around in there yourself. It's in there somewhere ;)

ALL SYSTEMS DOWN!!

Last nite, I was just using word, wasnt connected to the net or anything, and without warning, my computer turned off. Tried to turn it back on, nothing. Haven't been able to turn it on at all this morning either. This is a real pain in the *** and i rreally need my computer urgently now. I've got no idea whats wrong with it... should i buy a new power supply unit anyway?

It is hard to know the exact cause without swapping parts and testing, but there is a pretty good chance that a power supply is your problem.

I assume you don't have another one from another system you can use to test?

If not, take a quick look at your motherboard and look for any swollen or leaking capacitors. If you don't find any, then I'd go ahead and buy a new PSU.

Go here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
and calculate how many watts you need, then go here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566 to help you pick a good PSU.

Good luck!

Thanks heaps for your help mate. I do have an old psu from my old computer but i doubt it would have the capacity. Is there any danger in trying it though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back