problems with msn messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have a virus, everytime my daughter is on msn messenger and is chatting she gets and error everytime she hits enter, I've updated my norton and ran a couple of scans and it dosen't find anything. what do I do next? I'm running windows xp

the corporate world typically UNINSTALLS msn messenger and consider it as
unsafe software. I suggest you do likewise.

IF you really believe that online chat is something your children should be allowed to do :suspiciou , then
1) make sure their accounts are LIMITED in capability
2) have unique passwords
3) you configure your AIM software(under your Admin account) to disallow
file transfer and access to your HD.

Yahoo and AOL also supply AIM client software, but IMO are also :suspiciou

msn chat

Thank you for you opinion on msn chat, I dont like msn chat and I have a program installed so that I can monitor everything typed and limit the time spent. But I need to know #1 if I do have a virus and how do I get rid of it?

help please....patch package cannot be opened?

When I go to add and removed programs and try to uninstall msn messenger I get an error that says.... This patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package.
Help

It's generally not a good idea to use messenger programs, they are an invitation and a porthole for worms and viruses.

msn messenger

um, thanks for your opinion, I thought this sight was to get help for computer problems, not for giving your opinion on what you should or should not have on your computer.

if you wanted another good messenger try trillian. just search google for it. it offers yahoo, msn, aim, icq, irc and a lot more chat support!

newbie - having those programs invites problems. Part of the solution is to get rid of them.

tamibeth said:
um, thanks for your opinion, I thought this sight was to get help for computer problems, not for giving your opinion on what you should or should not have on your computer.

Well....... it is for helping with computer problems.

The help you are getting is in the form of valuable information. Chat programs are dangerous to your computer. That is the help. Delete it from your system.

You have received some GOOD free advice, but just because you don't like the opinions, doesn't mean that the advice is somehow faulty....

If you are simply wanting people to tell you how to delete / check for viruses that is fine. It'll put a temporary bandaid on your problem until the next culprit gets in via your chat software. And it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back