Problems with my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people,
I don't know a whole lot aobut all this stuff so work with me here.
So anyways i bought this card recently and everytime i put it in and start up my computer nothing happens with my monitor it just sits there all black. Before i was using an old Geforce MX440 AGP card and taht workd fine before so yea if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it.

Please fill in your profile with your computer specs. Without more information, we can only take stabs in the dark.

Stab in the dark #1: You haven't deleted the Nvidia drivers properly, and installed the ATI drivers.

Yea umm once agian my not knowing skills surpass me agian, where can I look exactly on my computer to find specs for it

You can download and run this program:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

That will give you all the information about your computer.

In particular we need to know more about your motherboard. There is the possibility that it can not handle that newer video card you have popped in there.

In the meantime, let me ask you this. You said you put in a new video card. Before you popped that new card in, you had to delete the drivers for your old card. Did you?

My computer Specs
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1700Mhz

Motherboard: Compaq- mode; 077Ch
Chipset: Intel i845 Rev.A3
Southbridge: Intel 82801BA (ICH2)

BIOS: Compaq
Version 686Y2 v1.05

Memory: Type-SDRAM
Size 512Mbytes

SPD: Slot 1 SDRAM
Module size 256Mbytes
Max Bandwidth PC133

Slot 2 SDRAM
Module size 256Mbytes
Max Bandwidth PC133

Well those are some of the specs, anyways regarding your last question yes, I did but since the nothing happend when I put in my new card I just put back in the old one and it it all worked just fine again.

I did a real quick google on that chipset of yours, and from what I can tell it can only support 1.5v VGA cards. Your 9600 is 0.8v. It SHOULD be backwards compatible, but the bottom line is, if I am right about your motherboard then it was not designed with the newer technology cards in mind and it may end up that you will not be able to use that VGA.

Do you have a model number of your Compaq? Are there any numbers written on the case? Compaq XXX etc.

Best chance of getting it to all work is going to be to upgrade your bios first, then redo the deletion of the old drivers/installation of new.

We can help walk you through the process, but we're going to need to know what compaq you have first....

Presario 5330US
Is that it im not really sure there is a bunch of number everywhere, but quick question would power supply be an issue?

Yes, it could very well be your problem (first let's check and see if your motherboard is even capable of using this card - give me a second).

Well, I did a live chat with compaq/hp on your behalf. I told them I have a Presario 5330US and wanted to install my nice sparkly new ATI 9600, and according to their technician, and I quote:

"I would like to inform you that ATI 9600 8x video card is not compatible with your computer."

:( Your motherboard is an old timer. Treat her with respect and love.

Well bummer for me, thanks for helping and all that, guess I will return it now get my money back and use it on something else. Well I appreicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back