Problems with my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've put everything in the case. all is connected. when plugged in i get nothing no power what so ever. I've checked the power button connection, and the power supply is connected properly. i tried a motherboard reset. nothing. I think I might have bent a prong on the processor board, but I would think the fan would still run right? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Did you straighten the pin before installing the processor? If it's smashed down, there's no telling what might be shorting out.

Try pulling everything out of the case and powering up. I once had a problem turning on because of a screw touch the wrong place on the motherboard. It was a while ago so I forget exactly what it was touching or even if it was screwed in properly or what, but nevertheless, there was an electrical issue apparently because of that. If that doesn't work, start from scratch, piece by piece. Switch out parts if you have spares too (ram, cpu, etc).

Along that same line of thinking, did you use the motherboard standoffs that came with the case?

standoffs

good idea...that might have even have been my problem...i cant really remember though....

but anyway, they are those little cubic usually soft bendable metal stands basically that you can pop through the outside of the case (of the frame not the cover) and they create (when all together, like 10 or so) a platform for the motherboard to be mounted against. they have holes on the top that you screw the motherboard into. basicaly you dont mount the motherboard directly on the inside of the case, you mount it on these little stands that you plug into the frame and line up based on where the holes in your motherboard are for the screws.

I looked at what i have leftover and found little metal screws not bendable but they have a female side too and also some sort red spacers, I'm assuming these together are the standoffs

its alive!! All it needed was the standoffs, thank you guys very much. I do have another ques. I lost my Windows disc. How would I go about pulling widows off of a hd and transferring to another hd. I had some trouble with this when i tried.

It is possible to clone a hard drive using software programs such as Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or similar program but if I understand your circumstances reasonably correctly, it would be illegal for you to try to install Windows in your new build that way. Also, unless your new motherboard is identical to the one the old hard drive came from, it wouldn't work.

Unless you know you bought a full Retail copy of Windows (and if you don't know, you likely didn't) rather than an OEM version, it isn't transferable from one PC to another. You really have to buy a new copy of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back