Problems with my Pioneer burning CD/DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWizKev826

Hi guys,
Forgive me but my problem is quite specific.

It started with me wanting to burn some dvd's and vcd's using Nero. I tried it, and it never worked when burning DVD's, so I contacted Nero support and they told me that I should update my recorder's firmware
(Pioneer DVD-RW DVR106D- my drive's name)
I searched around the internet, and I found an update updating my firmware from 100 to 108.

However, I would try to update its firmware, but my computer would always say " available target is not found". For some reason my computer is not detecting my drive to update it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Could you be more specific about what tool you're running to update the firmware?

Messages like "Device Not Found" are more typical if a drive (i.e. the device) can't be found. So am wondering the sequence of events, "who" is outputing your "Target not found" message and if, in fact, it means something other then device not found.

(Try unplugging the device so really not there.. then what happens?)

Umm, actually I'm just running an exe program that I downloaded from this site. It's supposed to update automatically. What happens when I activate the file is first, I install the program "which is quite unspecific as to where I should install", then after it is installed into a folder, a dos window comes up saying "firmware update utility".
This is then where I experience the "available target not found" error.

This is the site I downloaded the exe program from.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...erWriters/ci.DVR-106+&+DVR-A06U.Support?tab=B

Oh and btw, would it be safe to uninstall the drive through the device manager, and let my computer autodetect my drive again?

Thanks for the help again.

PokeWizKev826 said:
Oh and btw, would it be safe to uninstall the drive through the device manager, and let my computer autodetect my drive again?

Yes...........

It should happen as soon as you reboot.

I recently upgraded the firmware for a Pioneer DVD burner DVR-115DBK. I bought it from Newegg for a friend and they had a note on their site saying its firmware should be upgraded, so I did. For what it's worth, once I executed the file it ran automatically. The only thing I had to do was confirm in a DOS window that I wanted to go ahead with the upgrade. I did so and the rest was automatic.

However, I didn't have to install any program first. If I recall correctly, I ran it from the Start > Run box. I doubt that should make a difference but if you haven't tried that yet, give it a shot.

Baffled Pioneer Drive Owner......

I have 5 of these drives, (110,112,115s),never updated any firmware whatsoever, and never had any problems either, In 4 different computers.
I know that doesn't help the instant problem, but Pioneers statement that you need to update the firmware is mystifying, in light of my results with these things. All are being used in comjunction with Nero 6.6

The firmware update was mainly to increase its compatibility with various media, I believe. This was the message on my Newegg electronic invoice: "for Pioneer DVD Recording Drives Please go to: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/ for an Important Patch."

I wasn't having any trouble and my Pioneer model wasn't actually listed but I did it anyway. So in the end I really didn't have to I guess.

I've tried uninstalling my drive, and letting my computer auto detect, but that still does not work. (through the device manager )

I've also contacted Pioneer support, and they gave me the correct firmware, but I still received the same error.

They then told me that this error is usually received when the drive comes preinstalled on your computer if you buy it, and if that is the case, you should contact your computer's manufacturer to receive the proper update.

Right now I'm in the progress of contacting Sony to tell them my error, and I hope this works.

Oh and btw thanks guys for the help and options you've given me to help correct my problem. My computer has serious problems haha.

It may turn out to be simply a faulty optical drive. If so, replacing it would be the solution. They aren't that expensive and it usually isn't too difficult to replace them.

mailpup said:
It may turn out to be simply a faulty optical drive. If so, replacing it would be the solution. They aren't that expensive and it usually isn't too difficult to replace them.

Yeah, I may end up buying like perhaps an external drive burner or something because right now I really can't find any other solutions.

I have found something on this site
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=18189

However, the update listed utilizes flashing, a field i'm not sure I would be that safe in.

Oh and btw, in the event I do decide to buy a new drive, what would you guys recommend?

The scary part here is I'd recommend Pioneer. As I said earlier, I take them out of the box, stuff them in and they always work for me, without problems or incident. They read stuff that other drives won't, they make discs that work in everything else, I can't fault them. Maybe it's time for a new one.

Before I'd spring for a new drive though, I'd try and test a known working burner on the same IDE buss

My normal disclaimer: Your results my vary.

I don't have a problem with recommending the Pioneer DVR-115DBK (the BK is for the black version). It is highly rated at Newegg and I bought one for a friend's PC and it worked fine right off the bat. I used it to install Windows on her PC. A second DVD burner, a Liteon, had to be returned and it's warranty replacement was also defective so I just got a refund and ordered and installed an LG GSA-H55NK which also worked fine. At about the same time I bought an Asus DRW-2014S1 for someone else. That also was fine.

When installing two DVD burners on the same PC, I just like to use two different brands in case one has problems with certain media or something. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back