Problems with Nero Burning Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

Hi.
I used the Windows Media Player to archive my music library. I want to be able to now pull that music and burn to cd using Nero.
The problem seems to be incompatible formats. Nero cannot read the files as they sit on my hard drive. They must be converted from windows media file to .wav file. Can this be done?

Also, I noticed some inconsistentcies with how XP stored and labled albums that were downloaded on different days. All of the albums are placed in a folder labeled unknown artists. Once I go online and run Media Player each album is named and labeled and I get a nice thumbnail depicting the album cover. Now though all I get is the thumbnail. The folder remains labeled as unknown artists. The artist's and album's name do show up at the top of media player; just not the folder that sits in 'my documents' and 'my music'.

The reason that I like to use Nero instead of Media Player is that all the tracks you drag and drop take up space on their progress bar so you know exactly where you stand spacewise.

So how do I use Nero to burn these folders and why won't XP name my downloaded albums properly anymore?

You can use Winamp 2.xx's Diskwriter output plugin to convert many things to *.wavs. I suggested this in a thread somewhere and someone said that there can be some problems with doing it this way or something, although before I knew nero could deal with *.mp3s I always did it this way.
As far as why your naming problem, I don't know on that one.

K, well thats a start but I am way fuzzy on music file types and how to convert a file from one type, ie. mp3, .wav, windows media file, to another. There has to be a utility out there that can convert this stuff for me. I need the freedom to be able to manipulate my data for use on the platform of my choice. I am not savy enough yet to do this. I know some of you guys use Nero 'cause you've said so in previous posts.

BTW who won the contest? It must of been Arris since someone posted that he had a shiny new 80 gig HD.

In wmplayer it will tell u how much time u have remaining that you would like to burn. Personally, i think there is no better mp3 burning utility than wmplayer for winxp since it is where my playlists are anyways...

Originally posted by bedlam_4
K, well thats a start but I am way fuzzy on music file types and how to convert a file from one type, ie. mp3, .wav, windows media file, to another. There has to be a utility out there that can convert this stuff for me. I need the freedom to be able to manipulate my data for use on the platform of my choice. I am not savy enough yet to do this. I know some of you guys use Nero 'cause you've said so in previous posts.
Winamp will convert to wav or wma as long as you download the full version with wma support. You can get plugins for it to make it convert other formats to mp3. Where are you confused? Winamp will do what you originally asked just fine, and with the right plugins will do whatever you want it to do.

The only freeware program I've found that will allow you to convert WMA to WAV (fast!) is DBPowerAMP.

It isn't straightforward to use though, you'll have to download a centralized program (Their site is down for the moment, but you can get it here: http://www.webattack.com/get/dbpoweramp.shtml )

When you download this program, you'll have to download the WMA DBPowerAmp codec from somewhere. If their site is up anytime soon, they'll have it listed on there. You should look for the WMA v8 DBPoweramp codec.

The program works by right clicking on the file in explorer and then choosing "convert" from the menu. From there, you can select a slew of options for converting etc..

Yeah baby.

Thats why I so love this forum.
thanks Rick.

Its not that media player isn't adequate to my needs, its that Nero seems to be so much cleaner and streamlined.

Last time I used winamp was ages ago and ,quite frankly, I had forgotten that it was out there. I have a copy of it on a disk somewhere. It will be good to get reaquainted with it.

Originally posted by Rick
The only freeware program I've found that will allow you to convert WMA to WAV (fast!) is DBPowerAMP.
Are you sure? I'm about 98% sure Winamp does it and Winamp is freeware.

Originally posted by Bedlam_4
Last time I used winamp was ages ago and ,quite frankly, I had forgotten that it was out there. I have a copy of it on a disk somewhere. It will be good to get reaquainted with it.
Just go on to www.winamp.com and download youself the full version, its free. If you have an old copy floating around on disk its likely something below 2.5 and maybe even below 2.0, I remember the first time I used winamp it was somewhere around 1.8. Many things have changed for the better since the days of 1.xx, espically it changing from Shareware to Freeware. Perhaps you had the Shareware one?
If you feel real ambitious you can go ahead and download winamp3 its still in beta. I know Phantasm and I both use winamp3 at least some. I had problems with beta3, but beta2 runs flawlessly on my system. (WinXP Pro).

After spending a few hours messing around with Music Match juke box and a few hours more with Windows Media player I decided that Music Match definately is not the platform of choice. Media player seems to work real well now that I'm becoming more familliar with it.

Now when I rip a cd is there a way to store it in XP as a file type that is different than the default .wma? Suppose I want to rip it into a .wav or mp3 file type and not have to convert it after.
Music match automatically converted my files upon loading them into its library. But what about the initial download as stored in XP?

GET WINAMP!!!!!

To rip a cd to something other than *.wma try CDex. Its freeware and it will rip to mp3. I dunno why you'd want to rip to *.wav.

The initial download is going to be the original filetype, I'm confused as to where you are going with this because you download EXACTLY what the dude you are downloading from has. (probably mp3).

Get yourself winamp and CDex, and read up on mp3 to wav technology. There is simply too much information out there for us to translate into a few lines on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back