problems with new EVGA 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i recently brought a brand new 8800gtx, installed it into my pc and ran 3dmark to compare the increased performance...

Running my previous 7900GS i had obtained comfortable scores of >5400 with a little tweaking of core and memory of the GPU.

With the GTX installed at stock speeds this dropped to 3000-4000.
I originally thought this would be driver related and rather than using the drivers EVGA website suggest (163.75) i dropped back to the ones the official nvidia site gives (163.71); no change, score were still around 4k ish.

Wondering if the PSU might be at fault i tried both changing the wiring and even switched in the older 480w PSU i had. Again no change, still way below expected benchmarks. Incidently the fps on world of warcraft had also dropped from 60ish on the old gpu to 10-20 on the gtx.

Riva tuner shows the GPU to be running at stock speeds on core, shader clock and memory clock. Have tried altering settings on the GTX with riva tuner and have had some success with this, although this doesnt provide any siginificant improvement and certainly doesnt bring the scores up to the 9k ish mark i should be expecting.

My system is as follows:-

Windows XP64 professional
Gigabyte DS3R motherboard
Pentium core 2 duo E6750 running at 3300Ghz o/c
4Gb geil black dragon pc6400 ram (2x2gb sticks)
Thermaltake toughpower 750w PSU
and ofc EVGA nvidia G80 8800GTX gpu

With the GTX installed i have also had an odd period when frequencies on the gpu core and memory dropped to below half stock speeds and have experienced 3 or 4 random blue-screen crashes, usually when running 3d applications.

My question i guess is what else could be wrong, what could i do about it. And i guess most importantly does anyone have suggestions for diagnostic tools or programs with which i could locate the problem.

EVGA have offered return or replacement under their RMA warrenty, but i would like to be sure before incurring the expense of shipping the card back to them and any help would be gratefully appriciated

8800gtx

ok my friend , look the 8800GTX is an amazing card with a high level of next genaration grafix, you should check if you PCI slot is runnig at 16x and also that you DX is up to date , the 8800GTS is only 3600 rand or less , you waited money on that card why did'nt you just buy the 8800GTS the clock core is the same and the memory is just a little bit less i mean ok half the amount , but if you have about 1.5 to 2 GB of ram it shaouldnt matter. allso make sure that they did'nt trick you when you bought the card , try computers only they have grate prices >>> , ,because my dad purchased the 8800GTS and he plays gothic3,bioshock,quake wars, eany other new game full grafix at a wounderfull 50+ frame rate.

Warren, your post made little sense. first off, who is tricking who when he bought the card? Secondly, you shouldve stopped at "check your pci slot to make sure its running at 16x." the rest was garble about why he shouldve bought a tuned gts card. big deal, he has it now.

Phunky, you mentioned that you ran riva tuner. i wonder if you know that you may be running two overclocking programs at the same time. Check to make sure that EVGA doesnt have its own clock tuning program as this can interfere with riva's program. I have a BFG card that comes with a clocking program on my 7800GS and said to make sure one was turned off/disabled

hope this helps

I doubt there's anything you can do except RMA. That is, unless you've hooked up the power connectors incorrectly as kpo6969 suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back