TechSpot

Problems with New Radeon 9800 128 (non-pro)

By compnut5x
Oct 7, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greetings all. I have a problem that is bugging me. I recently upgraded some parts of my pc to have speedier gameplay, but I am not getting that. Specifically, its my FPS in games that a problem. Here are my specs:

Athlon T-bird 1.2 266mhz
    GA-7N400 Pro Nforce2 mobo
    Generic DDR333 1GB ram (2x512 running in DDR mode)
    Sapphire OEM Radeon 9800 128 non-pro
    Maxtor 40 GB 2mb 7200rmp HD
    Gigabit ethernet card (intel 1000/Pro)
    300watt Generic Power Supply.

I have WinXP SP 1 installd
    DX 9.0b
    Catalyst 3.7 installed - All grapics card settings for ATI are at default
    1024x768 32bit 85Htz
    Latest Nforce drivers

Bios Settings are set for AGP 8x
    Fast Writes enabled

Now. With a configuration like that, I dont expect to get extreme frame rates (as my cpu is the main limiting factor). But, here are some of the numbers that I am pulling in Games. I used FRAPS 99 in most games to get fps.

No One Live Forever 2 - approx 24-30 fps
    Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - approx 30fps indoors, 24 outdoors
    Quake2 OpenGL - 100fps
    Warcraft3 Frozen Throne - 15-27 fps in movies, 35 ingame.
    Unreal2 (lowest detail possible) - 20 indoor, 15 outdoor.

Aquamark3 - 15.85 fps - GPU score of 2448, CPU score of 2248

Does anyone have ANY idea why I am getting such low scores? I checked comparable scores in Aquamark3's database, and my score is the lowest of my category. The next lowest is a user with an Athlon 1.1 with 768 ram and a radeon 9800 reg, and he got 24 fps as his average.

One theory I had was that the card wasn't getting enough power and was running at reduced speed. Is there anyway to tell this? I have 2 hard drives, a cd burner, dvd drive, floppy, ide zip, graphics card, and motherboard/cup all running off a 300watt generic power supply. Is it possible that its not getting enough power? If that might be the case, is there any way to check that (software prog possibly?) I dont have a multi-meter to test voltage, and I dont have a higher PSU to swap out. Is there a formula to tell how much stuff you can connect to a power supply (like how much power each item needs in watts to tell if I am over?) Could this theory have any creedence?

Either way, ANY help from you all would be most greatly apprecated. Feel free to post your suggestions/comments and I will try them out and let you know if they work. Thanks a lot guys. Hope you can help me!

Steve
    compnut5x
  2. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

What card did you have before hand?
  3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Its your CPU.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Agreed. Your CPU is very outdated.
  5. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

Im with Rick & Nic - your CPU is dragging your score down ALOT - it also doesnt help that the CPU and RAM are running on different bus speeds - nforces dont work well under those conditions
    do your machine a favour - buy a XP2500+ for £60 and get some decent air cooling stuck on it - overclock it to 3200+ speeds (you will need some faster ram for this - i recommend corsair) and watch those scores go through the roof

Steg

p.s. with all that high tech kit the PSU is ideed going to start melting - try the Antec 450w - apparently they are very good
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.