Problems with Norton antivirus & MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i cant load norton 2003, it orginally asked for a reinstall due to an internal failure but after the reinstall i cant load it at all, i click and click and click but nothing appears as a tray icon or as an open progrma window, neither does it appear on my tasks window (i am on XP) any help?

and my msn messenger is acting up worst than ever....
i cant get online it tells me my password or user name is incorrect, but they are not. i go to try and log into hotmail directly to check emails as i thought a server for msn messenger mite be down but as i sign in the broswer window goes to the standard screen for windows "this page cannot be displayed..." and when i click on forgot your password? it does the same. i was guessing this was an internal problem for Hotmail as they update ther system but i checked the server status and it registers as online....i am on a LAN and a firewall but i have had this for a year with no problems any help??????

all help would be greatly appriciated

I have had similar problems with norton.You are going to find that this software gets integrated very deeply into windows.I have found that whenever I have issues with Norton I always use the registry tools they have at their site to clean out old files first. Read their instructions carefully .Make sure you check the site for any error messages thoroughly. I got a trojan horse I did not know only affect Norton.Just use the knowlege base search . Also make sure you update messenger and windows after you have cleaned up after Norton and defragged. Then do an online anti virus scan .Last, make sure nothing is running when you load again.

could this be linked to registry mechanic i downloaded, the problems seemed to begin from ther, i cant log into any websites that require i specific log in like an online bank or hotmail which contain security either

You will want to clean up after the Norton uninstall first and check your machine completely.I do not know registry mechanic .
Spend some time at the Symantec site checking all errors and directions .
The fact that you cannot logon to secure site might mean you r firewall settings are not recognizeing friendly sites ,try lowering your protection level temporarily.Also check to see that cookie control is not too high for these sites.When you are going to sites that are friendly to you you do not need high security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back