Problems with oblivion!

By Lefty!
Aug 4, 2006
  1. ok heres the deal i downloaded oblivion from Direct2Drive and unziped it and doubleclicked on setup.exe after it installed i did the usuall finish and play game. the menu looks fine but as soon as i go into the game everything goes white! i can still see my health bar and status very clearly but everything else is just a white screen. i have a Ati Diamond s9250 256 DDR PCi Grahix card. anything at this point would help
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Try disabling certain video features in the options. Start re-enabling them one by one until you find the one that's giving you all these problems.

Just to be on the safe side, do you have recent drivers for your card ? & btw is your card even supported by the game ?
  3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

You can't play Oblivion with the 9250 series videocard. It's well below the minimum requirements for the game (i.e. needs to be SM 2.0 capable DirectX 9.0 card, whereas the 9250 is a PS/VS 1.4 card for DirectX 8.1)..

There is a chance you can get the game to work with a 3rd party mod known as "Oldblivion" (which you can websearch and download). Oldblivion basically replaces the advanced dx9.0 shaders with older 1.1 level ones. So it looks ugly by comparison, but will at least play for more people with less-than-minimum requirement videocards.

Of course, the real solution would be to upgrade your videocard so you may enjoy Oblivion's advanced and rich visuals. But barring this, oldblivion is your best bet.

Good luck!
  4. Lefty!

Lefty! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

the card should work because its got direct x 9 on it. plus its a 256mb card. sooo that shouldnt be the case. and when you play the game for the first time it does that optimal performance scan thing and it set itfor medium. so i figured that meant that the card worked fine
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.