Problems with radeon x700 pro (AGP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be working, but the problem is, why is my frames per second so much lower than everyone elses. In Vcod i get around 50-60fps and in cod 2 20-30. I have a friend who has the same video card and gets over 200fps in both games.

My specs are:
Intel Celeron 1.70ghz processor
767 Mb RAM
300watt power supply
Windows XP Pro
No viruses/ spyware

My motherboard name is P4s5mg/gl+ - chipset SiS 650
Motherboard temperature is currently at around 27 so i know it is not overheating.

Well looking at your system the reason everyone else has better results is because they have faster processors and better motherboards. Your friend probably runs a AMD Athlon 64 or a Pentium 4 with HT with a faster motherboard. What you need is new motherboard, processor, and memory that's supported by the motherboard.

Im am having a similar problem with the same video card, except that Im using an ASUS A8V mobo with a 2 Ghz AMD 64 processor and 2 gigs of Ram, everything runs fine for about 30 after booting but then everything slows down, graphics get choppy and a sound distortion occurs, echoes crackles e.t.c. Im trying to figure out if the problem is with my video card, sound card, mobo or proc, I thought it was my RAM at first but I ran memtest on it for a about 12 hours with no errors and even replaced it with no effect. Im stumped as to how to further diagnose the problem without having to buy new hardware and just replace everything.

For the price (super low-end/budget, sub $70 range), the X700 is decent 3d card, but due to it's 128-bit memory interface and lower core/mem speeds, it's a bit underpowered for more modern games with higher details, resolution or settings.

This makes sense though- as you can't expect a $50-$75 3d card to perform like a $200-$300 card. But bang for the buck, it's a pretty good card.

I'd recommend upgrading to at least a $100-$150 USD range card.. from NVidia or ATI for improving performance if you have a good cpu, memory and disk performance.

If you're simply looking for tuning your setting or do not wish to upgrade, reduce game settings, ensure you have antialiasing disabled, lower anisotropic filtering and resolution. You should also run a complete defrag on all your drives as well as end all background tasks when launching a game.

Its not thats its underpowered, this same video card ran all my games fine untill after my last full format and reinstallation of everything, I know all my drivers are up to date as well. This is a problem that cropped up after having the card for a while, the chop and sound distortion occur no matter how low the settings are and only after 30 min to an hour depending on the game. These same games used to run just fine with all the settings in the mid to high range. Im trying to figure out why my system started acting up when everything was wiped and installed fresh.

Try the tips in my last paragraph.

Defrag your drives (since the os install + patches can really fragment things) as well as try optimizing your swap file. (i.e. disable virtual memory totally, run a defrag to completion, then create one with the same min/max size, say like 1536/1536, and if you have multiple drives pick your fastest or least used drive).

Also ensure you have installed the chipset/motherboard drivers for your motherboard if you've performed a total re-install.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back