TechSpot

Problems with the 8 steps

By P1hillburg
Nov 22, 2008
  1. Yesterday my computer was infected. I have the red circle with the white x in the xp toolbar. When I mouse over it it gives me the your computer is infected message. I have tried just about everything to get rid of it and decided that I need help. I started with the 8 steps but it wont ever let me open malwarebytes or hijackthis, also it wont even let me download superantispyware. Can anyone offer me some help?

I got superantispyware installed now but just like the other programs it wont let me open it.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. P1hillburg

P1hillburg TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright I was able to get all the needed programs working and ran them. Here are my log files. If someone would look them over for me it would be greatly apprieciated.

4. kimsland

P1hillburg the Malwarebytes scan found many issues (thankfully you removed)
    But because of the amount of entries found, can you please scan again, just with that one program (check for updates first, on 3rd tab across the top)

It will be interesting to know if more are found
    This happens because Malware can be hidden by other malware, requiring multiple scans

Do that
    Restart
    Submit the log
    Let us know how it's running

5. P1hillburg

P1hillburg TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here is the latest log from malwarebytes. The computer seems to be running fine now and the red circle with the white x is gone.

6. kimsland

That's fantastic news :grinthumb
    I also note that MBAM log more infections were removed

I noticed that you have Spybots S&D running.
    This should have been removed as well (before scanning) as per the guide

Someone may come along to check your HJT log further
    But presently it "seems to be running fine"

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.