Problems with Win7

By FatalScroll
Mar 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My Windows 7 X64 is doing 2 things starting to concern me because I cant figure out how to fix it. The first thing is its not recognizing my Antivirus (Avast), Action center keeps popping up saying its off and needs to be turn on but it wont turn on, while Avast says everything is fine (did full removal of avast and reinstall and problem persists).

The second thing is I got the "you may have a counterfeit copy of windows" popup, I bought an OEM copy of 7 off NewEgg so I know its not counterfeit, when I open up System it says Status not available, Product ID not available. Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on with my system?
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Hit Start, type in "activate Windows", what happens?
  3. FatalScroll

FatalScroll Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Irrelevant, I decided to reformat, thanks anyways
  4. bazz2004

bazz2004 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 379   +36

Well that was a fast decision. It's likely those two issues would have been fairly straightforward to solve without reinstalling Windows.
    AnonymousSurfer likes this.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,278   +280

Agree. That said, I would also add that having used the OEM installer myself,
    should not have occurred - - looks like a poor job done by Newegg
  6. FatalScroll

FatalScroll Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Lol im a bit impatient and I spent hours on forums looking for answers and nothing working, so I figured it would be easier just to backup my stuff and reformat, now im happy on my normal win7

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.