Problems with Windows File and Transfer Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I backed up my files etc. using the Windows File and Transfer Wizard. However, when I run the wizard on the new pc (not new just the same system re-formatted) I get an error saying "transfer not complete, please check you have sufficient disc space" Hence, all my old valuable files are on a DVD that I cannot access. The file is an .UNC file. Can this file be de-coded in any other way?
Thanks in anticipation
Gaz

Hi,

I think there is a tool HERE that does something like what you want.

The full instructions are in the help text.

You can also use the transfer wizard using a crossover cable,

if that is possible in your situation

It sounds like you may have backed up to the wrong location:
The UNC, short for Universal Naming Convention or Uniform Naming Convention, specifies a common syntax to describe the location of a network resource, such as a shared file, directory, or printer. The UNC syntax for Windows systems is as follows:

\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource> where 'ComputerName' is the hostname, 'SharedFolder' is a shared directory with a name chosen by the host providing the share, and 'Resource' is a shared directory, file, or printer.

But you are indicating backup was to a DVD. Apparently, that's not where you sent the transfers. Try looking in your shared folders using windows Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back