Problems with Wireless Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my Dell Inspirion 1501 Laptop since Nov 2006, and we had Knology boradband internet (with a 3 mbps download). We switched recently to Brighthouse (with a high download speed of 15mbps) 3 weeks ago. We have a Netgear Wireless RangeMax 240 Router.

It has always worked great, then about a week and half ago my laptop starts stalling out, and when I move my curser to the wireless icon on the lower right side of my desktop it says Speed: 1 Mbps, Signal Strength: Excellent, Status: Connected.

I have updated the firmware on my laptops internal wireless mini card and reset my router and reinstalled the settings and updated it's firmware. Yet it continues to do this. The first 10 minutes of use it flucuates from 54-18 Mbps then drops to 1 Mbps and stays there.

As I said I have never had a problem before, and it worked great after the switch for a week and half. Now for the past week and half it is crapping out. Any suggestions?
Chelle

Edit: I just read another post, (should have search more I apologize) and they mention downloading iTunes. I just did that a couple days after Christmas on the main computer, not my laptop. And someone mentions it hogs a lot of bandwith and to uninstall it. Of course what to do when I need to transfer music to my son's ipod shuffle...hmm. I am work so I will have to see if uninstalling iTunes will work on bring back up the bandwith speed.

Please let me know if this works Chellewat, because I have ITunes on my desktop and me and my roomate share the Internet and it's not blazing speeds like they say!

Chellewat said:
...and they mention downloading iTunes. I just did that a couple days after Christmas on the main computer, not my laptop. And someone mentions it hogs a lot of bandwith and to uninstall it. Of course what to do when I need to transfer music to my son's ipod shuffle...hmm. I am work so I will have to see if uninstalling iTunes will work on bring back up the bandwith speed.
Just don't have it AutoStart and you don't need AutoUpdate either.
iTunes is not a problem when it is not running, so there's no need to uninstall
it.

Try this network speed test

Your primary symptom is poor connection reliability, eg 54 -> 11 ->1
solve this problem first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back