Problems XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running XP Pro S/P 2, I was running a invoice program when all hell broke loss. The program (Estimate/Invoice) hung up. So rebooted the computer and when got this message "A disk read error occured" Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. well I have try booting with system disk, norton, XP, and tried tossing the hard drive up agaist the wall and nothing works please help.

Well, now that you have tossed the hard drive against the wall, you should go buy a new one and install Windows from scratch :)

Please. You are providing almost no information here. What happened what you "tried" "booting with system disk, norton, XP". For all we know you may have already deleted everything!

A disk read error would suggest that the hard drive has developed bad sectors. Please verify this with a diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer. If you do have bad secors on that drive, then you should replace it and einstall Windows.

Depending on the amount of damage on the old disk, you may be able to copy off your important files.

Be nice coverno

Well no I did not physically trow the dam thing against the wall but this is pissing me off. I don't know what kind of info you need. Oh ah I am tied I start work at 4-AM and worked unit 11-PM. So as far as information the only thing I can think of is that I am running XP-Pro, with S/P 2. The hard drive is a Seagate model ST340015A, 40G. Should there have been a utility disk with this hard drive when I bought it? So I should have it. But wondering if not can I down loaded from the Internet? thank you the assist

Go to http://www.seagate.com and download DiskWizard for Windows. Install and run it. Select "Maintenance" and check the drive. If the S.M.A.R.T status fails, or you get any errors, back up your data and replace the drive. DiskWizard can be used to back up your old drive. Just get another drive, install it as the secondary master, and run Diskwizard once more. DiskWizard will format the new drive and copy all data to it from the old drive. Once the copy is complete, remove the old drive and install the new drive as the primary master drive or C drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back