Processer running slower than advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMountaineer

Hi,
I got a new motherboard and CPU fitted by a friend who owns a shop, its a AMD Septon 3300+ but it's running at 2GHZ.

I checked this speed in bios, dxdiag etc, and all say same = 2GHZ.

My CPU FSB is runnning at 200 and it seems to crash if I up it. I had to take the battery out of the motherboard to restore the defaults.

I rang my friend and he says that the system will be faster than my previous Intel 2.4GHZS etc

I am now confused and wondering if I should be concerned.

If this system is better than my old one, shouldn't the speed be better?

Advice welcome
Thanks
Dan

PS I have ASUS K motherboard

The sempron 3300+ does run at 2.0Ghz, that is the correct setting. But a Sempron at 2.0Ghz is actually faster than a Pentium4 2.4Ghz.

The pentiums work faster, but the AMDs do more per cycle so you can't really compare them by their speeds alone.

Here is a good comparison of the various processors for you: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=263&model2=229&chart=74

play around with the various benchmarks to see how your sempron actually outperforms the P4 2.4Ghz.

thanks for reply, provides piece of mind...

i know nothing about CPU's etc

However, i can get my processer to 2.4ghz using the CPU FSB.
Is this recommended?

Thanks
Dan

Please be aware. Overclocking will void the warranty of the parts being overclocked.

Ocing can also result in permanent damage and/or a shorter life span of the components oced.

Take a look at this guide to overclocking.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=41525. This is only an introduction and much more detailed ocing instructions can be found on Google.

I`m not saying you shouldn`t oc. I`m just saying you should read up on what it is you`re trying to do, and proceed carefully.

Regards Howard :)

Personally. I wouldn`t bother overclocking.

The performance gains, in my opinion wouldn`t be that great.

However, it`s up to you. If you really do want to oc, then just be careful.

Regards Howard :)

Overclocking comes with a whole lot of problems. I do overclock, but thats only because I've got alot of time to burn nor do I do stuff on the computer which require 100% stability.

Mainly use it for games, and for that extra 8fps (according to 3DMark2k5 games tests) its worth it for me.

Also, I did spend quite a bunch on cooling before overclocking, as well as reading up on it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back