TechSpot

Processer running slower than advertised

By TheMountaineer
Mar 17, 2006
  1. Hi,
    I got a new motherboard and CPU fitted by a friend who owns a shop, its a AMD Septon 3300+ but it's running at 2GHZ.

I checked this speed in bios, dxdiag etc, and all say same = 2GHZ.

My CPU FSB is runnning at 200 and it seems to crash if I up it. I had to take the battery out of the motherboard to restore the defaults.

I rang my friend and he says that the system will be faster than my previous Intel 2.4GHZS etc

I am now confused and wondering if I should be concerned.

If this system is better than my old one, shouldn't the speed be better?

Advice welcome
    Thanks
    Dan

PS I have ASUS K motherboard

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

The sempron 3300+ does run at 2.0Ghz, that is the correct setting. But a Sempron at 2.0Ghz is actually faster than a Pentium4 2.4Ghz.

The pentiums work faster, but the AMDs do more per cycle so you can't really compare them by their speeds alone.

Here is a good comparison of the various processors for you: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=263&model2=229&chart=74

play around with the various benchmarks to see how your sempron actually outperforms the P4 2.4Ghz.

3. TheMountaineer

TheMountaineer TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for reply, provides piece of mind...

i know nothing about CPU's etc

However, i can get my processer to 2.4ghz using the CPU FSB.
    Is this recommended?

Thanks
    Dan

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Please be aware. Overclocking will void the warranty of the parts being overclocked.

Ocing can also result in permanent damage and/or a shorter life span of the components oced.

Take a look at this guide to overclocking.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=41525. This is only an introduction and much more detailed ocing instructions can be found on Google.

I`m not saying you shouldn`t oc. I`m just saying you should read up on what it is you`re trying to do, and proceed carefully.

Regards Howard :)

5. TheMountaineer

well what would you guys do?

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Personally. I wouldn`t bother overclocking.

The performance gains, in my opinion wouldn`t be that great.

However, it`s up to you. If you really do want to oc, then just be careful.

Regards Howard :)

7. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

Overclocking comes with a whole lot of problems. I do overclock, but thats only because I've got alot of time to burn nor do I do stuff on the computer which require 100% stability.

Mainly use it for games, and for that extra 8fps (according to 3DMark2k5 games tests) its worth it for me.

Also, I did spend quite a bunch on cooling before overclocking, as well as reading up on it....

8. TheMountaineer

thanks for the advice
    I won't bother unless i need to in the future.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.