Processes running?... slow laptop :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

hi, i bought my laptop 8months ago
it was fairly well speced for the money and at the time

and its been running fine ever since tho just recently ive been noticing that its become sluggish on startup and on shut down .. it has also become slow at opening applications.

i know that windows tends to deteriorate over time etc ..but i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to speed up my machine .. software wise

as i type this i am apparently running 63 processes in the background

i dnt use norton etc

my current cpu usage keeps peaking at 33% even tho i am only using firefox and limewire pro

if anyone can shed some light on this issue that would be great thanks

can anyone suggest and good registry cleaners, anti spyware etce tc that would also be great

thanks again

You might also want to follow all the steps HERE

90% of filesharers have spyware on their systems.

As a short term measure try going into msconfig start up tab

and uncheck everything except Firewall (if there) and Anti virus.

The Techspot recommendations for security programs are -

Zonealarm, Kerio or Comodo,firewall.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

sorry for the delay in reply

i havent been able to get online for ages :(

never mind eh

thanks for the advice

ill give the ideas a shot tomorrow at work .. hopefully something should work :D

thanks again

Going by just the count of the processes running, 63, that is twice what I run with Firefox+6 tabs and Outlook Express.

"i know that windows tends to deteriorate over time etc ..but i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to speed up my machine .. software wise"

The only processes you need on startup are: anti-virus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and network process if on a network. NOTHING else! Everything that starts at boot runs in the background. After you're online for a while, as you accumulate temporary internet files, the available RAM will be exhausted.

You are also running too many services. The ones you don't need should be set to either Manual or Disabled. And as mentioned, Limewire will have a lot to do with what's in and on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back