Processor Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

Can anyone tell me of a website, or other resource, where I can get comparison benchmark charts for different processors? I am wanting to compare a Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 with HT Technology1
(3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
and a AMD Athlon™ 64 3800+ processor with AMD 64 Technology
(2.40GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
. Also, do you need Windows 64 bit to take advantage of a 64 bit processor?

Thanks, Sid

Between those to specific processors, the AMD is much better. The clock speed may be lower but it defintly ain't slower!

The AMD is much faster than the P4. The P4 would have to be about 3.8 ghz to be as fast as that AMD.

I am really not that familiar with Amd processors (I am still only a newb with them) but I would go with the Pentium 4. I have had good experience with Intel components. I am only giving you this post out of experience with both processors. My friend has a newer Athlon, and it runs very slow on startup and on shut down.

Can't really say which is better, AMD or Intel. They both have some great CPUs. We CAN however compare two specific CPUs, and if we are comparing the two in this thread, the AMD is the better one. It will outperform the Intel in just about every way.

DonNagual said:
Can't really say which is better, AMD or Intel. They both have some great CPUs. We CAN however compare two specific CPUs, and if we are comparing the two in this thread, the AMD is the better one. It will outperform the Intel in just about every way.

Just wondering (for learning reasons), how is the Amd better in this case than the Pentium 4? I am trying to learn more on processors.

In this case, it is simple actually. Which CPU is going to perform better for the dollar? They are both about the same price (the p4 is currently about $10 cheaper) so we can simply look at how they perform to compare them.

In my first post in this thread, I gave a link to a page that has done the benchmarks for us. In other words, they used various CPUs to do various tasks and gave us the data on how they performed. The Athlon64 3800 cpu is a great one, and will outperform its P4 competitors in the same price range.

But if we are comparing Intel's newest CPUs (core2) vs. AMD's newest CPUs (AM2) then the tables are turned. Intel will outperform the AMDs in just about every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back