Processor driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running an Athlon 64 on Abit KV8 motherboard and have downloaded processor driver from Abit site (athlon64_driver_ v11018) On attempting to load I'm asked for "destination folder". How do I determine this? Any help appreciated please.

Word of warning

Changing processor drivers is a very dangerous job. If you get it wrong you pc could stop operating properly or not even boot.

However it can greatly increase its speed and functionalilty.

I am of the moto "If it isn't broke dont fix it".

Killer_Byte said:
Changing processor drivers is a very dangerous job. If you get it wrong you pc could stop operating properly or not even boot.

However it can greatly increase its speed and functionalilty.

I am of the moto "If it isn't broke dont fix it".
:confused: Umm... he's not changing his processor. The A64 processors have a driver for Windows.

Jayde- are you sure that the driver you dled is not asking you where to extract the files to? I bet thats what its doing. Just extract them to C:\A64 Driver or somesuch. Then there will be a setup.exe or install.exe or something similar that will actually install the driver. If none of those exist, look for a text file with instructions.

As i'm not familiar with AMD or Abit, I can only say go to there site where you downloaded from, and look for install instructions. Or see if there is a readme with the download, probably is. If there is it should tell you exactly what to do.

Edit: SNGX beat me to it.

processor drivers

Many thanks olefart & SNGX. I will certainly do as you suggest re instructions on installing drivers.

processor drivers

Thanks Killer Byte. I strongly agree with what you say, "if it aint broke......." but against that we have the motherboard handbook saying "always download latest BIOS, software or drivers" I have so far steered well clear of flashing my BIOS however !!

Processor drivers

I've now had a chance to work on this problem again. Turned out the v_1108 driver I downloaded from the Abit site had somehow got corrupted & wouldn't load anyway. I downloaded the same driver from the AMD site (although it turned out to be a smaller file) and being an .exe file it self loaded - no problem this time. Whether or not it's made any difference to my system is another question !! Anyway my thanks to all who offered valuable help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back