Processor Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a P4SD - VX motherboard in s Sony desk top. It has an extreamly noisy fan the model number is ,afb 0712 hhb,. I have searched for 2 days now trying to get confirmation on a compatable quieter fan and had no joy. Does anyone have any ideas please
Thanks in advanced for your time.

Well I think i would prefer a straight swap with a better quieter fan. It seems like it should be straight forward but the existing fan has wierd brackes to clip into. Im not sure if when i buy a new fan it will come with brackets to screw into the motherboard or if i use the existing ones?

No, do not use a controller on the Sony.
There are plenty of fan-heat sink combos that will work great, and it is better to use the combo, than to try to find another fan. The total cost isn't much more.

raybay said:
No, do not use a controller on the Sony.
There are plenty of fan-heat sink combos that will work great, and it is better to use the combo, than to try to find another fan. The total cost isn't much more.

On "the Sony". As in, it's a brand thing? Why not use a fan controller on "the Sony" out of curiosity?

Not really a brand thing, but Sony desktops are difficult enough when you meddle with their opinion of themselves.
Space is also a problem, changing the fan alone does not work as well as the combo.
I have no problem with a controller fan if it is part of a heat-sink and fan package.
Whatever you do, check the power socket so you get the right type. Sony has some weird setups on some motherboards.

Not really a brand thing, but Sony desktops are difficult enough when you meddle with their opinion of themselves.

You say it's not a brand thing and then continue to go on about how difficult Sony desktops are, implying that it is a brand thing.

I have no problem with a controller fan if it is part of a heat-sink and fan package.
Whatever you do, check the power socket so you get the right type. Sony has some weird setups on some motherboards.

What are you talking about? Fan controllers are extremely simple devices. They'd work just fine on pretty much any PC fan that can afford to be throttled. There is absolutely no reason to buy (if you could even find one) a heatsink/fan/fan controller combo.

Instead of going back and fourth why don't we try to help the guy???
If you want to reduce your cpu fan noise, the best way is to increase the size of the fan... The larger the surface area of the blade the more air you can move at a lower rpm, thus reduced noise... You will have to also increase the size of your heat sink or use a funnel or an adapter... If tou have a 70mm fan you can get a 70mm to 80 mm adapter for about $3. her are a few useful links...
http://www.acousticpc.com/index_quiet_cpu_coolers.html
http://www.computerfanoutlet.com/
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=FAN (this is my pick)

Also, When removing a heatsink USE thermal grease and clean the surface well of both the cpu and heat sink with alcohol and a q-tip

It would depend on the Sony. Some of them are configured so tightly, that you cannot just choose any fan... and must almost try one to see if it fits. The more expensive the Sony Desktop, the more difficult it is to change the fan or the heatsink... which is why it is best to do the job as one change out... take one to the repair parts store to size up the replacement as a unit.
Though a photograph of the space allowed would probably work.

It would depend on the Sony. Some of them are configured so tightly, that you cannot just choose any fan... and must almost try one to see if it fits. The more expensive the Sony Desktop, the more difficult it is to change the fan or the heatsink... which is why it is best to do the job as one change out... take one to the repair parts store to size up the replacement as a unit.
Though a photograph of the space allowed would probably work.

Raybay, what are you talking about? I'm sorry but I can't see how the price of a Sony desktop has ANY relation to the difficulty of changing a fan/heatsink. Can you provide any documentation to back your claims up?

Wanna be geek, both of us are attempting to help him. We are debating relevant (well, almost relevant in Raybay's case) information to his situation.

TomGreir, depending on the assembly of your heatsink and fan you may or may not find it easy to replace your fan. If it's the latter, you'll need to either:

1. Buy something that throttles the fan to a lower RPM (a fan controller).
2. Buy a different heatsink along with the new fan.

I have fat fingers, I ALWAYS have problems changing fans around. Some are tougher than others.

However, esp with more recent processors, the heatsink/fan mount is standardized. Find sometehing that specifies for p4, and you're good to go.

Look for reviews, especially places like Tom's Hardware, that talk about quiet PC systems. They often have good nuggets of advice that let you find a fan that isn't so quiet it's expensive, but does what you want at a reasonable price. Usually I look for reviews from 3 sites or more, and average the reviews.

And Raybay, WTH??? The more expensive the more difficult? Where in GOD'S name did that come from? Evidence, links please?

It's late here tonight- if someone hasn't found you good reviews by tomorrow, I'll try to dig some up and link them here.

Late PS- I've never worked with it at all, but I hear for the ultimate in quiet as well as great temperature control, water cooling is worth investigating. The concept of putting water near the electrical makes me nervous, though...

:/ Not sure what you're implying there, but SpeedFan is fairly well known to be virtually worthless as a fan controller. Furthermore, it's lackluster at best with reading temperatures.

Keep the cheap shots to yourself please.

OK, If it sounded like a cheap shot I am sorry... I did not mean to come of that way. I will give you partial credit and say that Speedfan does not alway work. It does work on some systems and the sys depends largly on the mobo and most importantly the BIOS. I have had several systems that it totally sucked on but I spent some time and worked with it and really got it tweaked right. Just because you run a program and it don't work does not mean it is worthless. Sometimes you have to invest some time into something to get it to work. What works for me might not work for you, I have seen the same exact hardware setups perform differn't . If your a real geek you can't argue that. Again, I am sorry if I my comment offended you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back