Processor & motherboard upgrade for my laptop

[FONT=arial]Hi!!![/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I have a dell latitude c640 laptop ddr sdram, P4, 1.20GHz, HDD 30GB, L2 Cache 512 KB, and RAM 256 MB.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I need to remodel the laptop so that it can work with virtualization simulations & have atleast 4GB RAM. Can you kindly let me know the processor, motherboard, and specifications of other upgrades which will be compatible enough to enable me to reuse THIS very laptop just by upgrading it? Also let me know an approximate cost estimate.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I repeat kindly let me know the specifications of the above which will work with this series of laptop for virtualization simulations using Virtual Box, OpenvSwitch, Xen etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Thank You!!![/FONT]

Laptops do not have standardized motherboards that will interchange. If and I stress IF there is a motherboard you can use as an upgrade, you would need to contact the manufacturer for the specific details. There is little to no way for anyone to know these details, outside manufacturing service department.

Also looking at your current specs any upgrade will be about 5 or 6 generations old and not worthwhile. You need a new laptop.

Yea, at this point, you might as well grab a new machine. I know your saying you want to use that machine, but any money you spend on that will cost more than a new laptop that would have up to 4 times the power. Plus getting a motherboard for a laptop except the exact one made for that laptop that will fit will be extremely hard.

Hi Stilldedes,

As rightly pointed out in previous posts here, it would be better to go in for a new computer rather than upgrade your existing Dell Latitude C640, as this is an older system.

For instance, this computer can support a maximum of 1GB RAM only (the memory type is 266-MHz DDR SDRAM), and you would like to upgrade upto 4GB which would not be possible on this computer. For the Mobile Pentium 4-M processor, if upgraded, the maximum processor speed would be 2.0 GHz.

If you compare the cost of upgrade in relation to the cost of a new laptop, it would be better to go in for a new system which would have the latest technology built into it.

However, if you would like to look at parts & upgrades available for your computer, please click on this link: http://dell.to/18X9D6X

You need to enter your system service tag and a list of upgrades available for your system will be displayed.

Please reply if you have further queries.

[FONT=Arial] Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Support Site[/FONT][FONT=Arial] .[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

Back