Processor oem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt

Sorry if this is a newb question but what does oem mean? Is that good, bad or does it even make a diff? Cuz I found this processor for much cheaper than newegg on ebay... well its current auction price anyways and it says its oem.

Basically parts labeled OEM are intended as replacements in manufactured PCs. So it doesn't normally come in a box like a part you purchase from a store or with software. A thing to note about OEM CPU's are that they will not come with a Heatsink or thermal grease. You'll need to obtain these seperately.

OEM
(pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers -- they are the customizers.
Contrast with IHV.

OEM products will often have a different warranty policy than their retail counterparts - Beware. You may get a considerable discount purchasing an OEM product, but if it dies after 4 months you may be out of luck.

Where I work, we offer up to a 4 year warranty on retail components - But only 1 year on OEM components.

Ok thanks that was very helpful. I think I will just stick with newegg. Esp. since the process goes for 500 originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back