Processor Question: P4 Prescott vs. Celeron w/ASUS mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noyz3001

I noticed that on the mobo I want, the ASUS P5AD2-E Premium, shows that it's CPU type is Intel Pentium 4 EE HT/Pentium 4/Celeron.

However, I am ordering a 3.4 GHz P4 650 Prescott.

Now, the ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe mobo clearly states it's CPU type is Intel Pentium 4 EE HT/Pentium 4 Prescott/Celeron D.

Do I have a core compatibility issue here? The Deluxe mobo only has 4 SATA ports while the Premium has 8, which I like. But I'm unsure if the core (Prescott vs. Celeron?) matters and I don't know which way to go. Want to order this system this morning so this is a last minute thing. Any help???

Howdy

Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz Prescott Core, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, 90nm, 64-Bit EM64T, XD, Socket 775 CPU Processor LGA775 w/ Hyper-Threading Technology (Retail with Fan and Heatsink, BX80547PG3400F)
a bit spendy. avg $426.usd

virtually identicle boards
P5AD2-E Premium
Intel 925XE chipset
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Channel DDR2 533
Intel PAT
PCI Express Architecture
Wireless LAN onboard
Dual Gigabit LAN
1394b/a

P5AD2-E Deluxe
Intel 925XE chipset
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Channel DDR2 533
Intel PAT
PCI Express Architecture
Gigabit LAN
1394a
Should make for a nice machine!

I don't think that's what he was asking, but that's what his title said.

I doubt that the Premium mobo would have problems with a Prescott chip since it is the same mobo just a Premium version of it. If you are still worried about it, check the RMA or warranty stuff of the place you're gonna buy it from to make sure that you can return it if it isn't compatiable.

Excellent. Thank you guys.

I actually went back to my original CPU (the 550 Prescott as opposed to the 650 Prescott with 64-bit support) which I confirmed was compatible with the boards. I was just a little confused at their descriptions.

Switched back to the non-64 bit CPU because I read the mobo doesn't support 64 bit so it was a wash. And I am dead set on this mobo.

You guys are a huge help!
-N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back