Processor switch

By jimeeb
Apr 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have two dell laptops . They are both inspions, one is an 1150 the other is a 2200. The 2200 has a pentium processor and the 1150 has a celeron.
    what i am trying to do is swap processor but the pins are different. the pentium has one extra pin in the corner that will not allow it to seat in the mobo of the 1150.
    My question is... Is that pin absolutely necessary or is it just a locater pin?
    I'm sorry I dont have a scanner or camera to give i visual of witch pin I am talking about ,but I am hoping that someone will allready know.

now this is for all the people who want to ask me "why" instead of just answering my question. i want switch processors because the 2200 has numerous other problems and it will be simpler to just swap processors, Well, so I thought.
    I am also aware of the 1150's tendancy to overheat. I am running i 8k fangui witch helps tremendously. So this is a risk I am willing to take.
    Thanks in advance
    well i found some pics but for some reason it says i must have 5 posts to put an image in my post. since i dont have 4 more problems we get no images of these processors.........
    this is a pretty rediculous requirement "In my opninon"
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

If the processor doesn't fit, you can't swap it. You can't cut the extra pin off. You will trash the CPU. These are "moble" versions of the PC processors
  3. jimeeb

jimeeb Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thnx magic thats pretty much what I thought.... maybe if i hit it hard enuff with a hammer it will fit..........
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

These processors are not that expensive. Maybe Ebay would be a good place to look
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

Thought for the Day.......

Never force anything...., always get a bigger hammer!:D;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.