Processor upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

I want to upgrade my processor and need some advice like what the fastest processor that is compatible that i can buy and if anyone has some links to where i can buy it. Also if i need cooling and what is a recommended.

here are some details

BIOS Properties:
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version VI31E304
Release Date 06/05/2002

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
Version Intel Pentium(R) 4
External Clock 400 MHz
Maximum Clock 2200 MHz
Current Clock 2200 MHz
Type Central Processor
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket 478

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2200 MHz (22 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard Name FIC VI11/VI31

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

If you need some more info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=82332

Hello, invisibleman, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, going by what the HP site says, that's pretty much the best cpu you can get :)

if you wanted something even better you could upgrade to a socket LGA775 motherboard and get any of the latest intel processors, including the quad core ones ;)

Socket Designation Socket 478
the fastest one you can get is only a P4 3.2Ghz w/HT or another one that uses the 478. Although finding that is gonna be hard in the best of cases.

Kunj, Core 2's use a socket 775, so its incompatible with his pc. Like Dave said, either upgrade the motherboard as well (which will give you a lot more options), live with it or wait it out for a new pc altogether...

A Pentium 4 3.06GHz CPU would be the best you could get. Your mobo won't accept any 533MHz FSB processors so only get a 400MHz FSB one and you'll be fine.

I stand corrected. The 2.8GHz P4 is the fastest available for a 400MHZ-only FSB motherboard. Unfortunately, those are becoming rarer to find and if you do find one, it'll be very expensive, like the one in the link posted by kpo6969. I'd suggest a complete overhaul of the machine or, if you can afford it, a completely new one.

I knew I kept that old link for a reason. My old box has a P4 1.7 and the most I could go to was a 2.0 so I forgot that idea.

thanks

Thanks everyone, im considering just getting a new motherboard and processor instead, wont i need to get new ram and graphics card too?

Any recomendations for motherboard/processors then?

if you choose the correct combo, you can assimilate your old hardware into it.. check out if your graphics card is AGP/PCI/PCI-E or onboard (the latter you won't be able to transfer, but you can get boards with similar onboard graphics on it already), RAM you'd just need to check if the board supports the type of ram you already have (DDR type, FSB speed etc), all other cards (pci etc) should fit nonetheless.

A Celeron that'd fit into his current mobo has to be a downgrade from his current CPU. So I would advise against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back