Processor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been given an older Compaq Presario 7470 with a VIA MVP4/686A chipset board with AMD K6-2 %33Mhz socket 7 processor. I maxed out the ram and I wanted to know if the processor could be upgraded. I wouls also like recommendations on where to find out what other hardware upgrades are compatible with this system. Powerleap.com does this for dell models and I would like to know if there is a site for other brands. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am awaiting a heart transplant and cannot afford to purchase a new system. Thanks

The K6 hasn't been available for years now, the only place you'd find one would be 2nd hand.

I had a quick look on the VIA website, but couldn't see that one archived anywhere, so it's gonna be hard to say what is the fastest CPU it supports. It's probably not worth messing with, as the K6 was available in 500MHz maximum - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off memory here!

All the best with the surgery.

Steve

mine is a K6-2 533Mhz. The processor is fine but I wanted to put in something faster and have been having trouble finding what socket 7 cpu's were compatible with that chipset. Do you know a link to the Via website to try and look up my boards specs? I know with intel boards it is pretty easy to find all compatible cpu's. I have never had others besides intel boards and pentium processors and I don't have a frame of reference as to what a AMD K6-2 is comparable with. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back