Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a dumb observation, but. If you "love messing with stuff." Why even ask if it will work? Just do it and see. Apprently both of these computers are just laying around collecting dust right?

no the emachine is what i use every day the other is a comp i just have laying around. Also is there anything i need to know when changing processors? and i had a hard time getting the heat sink off the other comp is there a easyier way?

Was the difficult processor's heatsink "stuck" to the processor? Did you have to pry it off? Was it from the HP or eMachines?

it was the hp and no it was not stuck both the hp and the emachine have the same metal calamp that has to be pried out to get it to come off and it seems like you have to pry really hard to get it to come loose and that seems like it could damage something. once you get it off is there anything special taht you have to do when you swap the processors?

A flat-head screwdriver and down and out moderate pressure on one side should be enough to get the clamps off. You will have to clean both surfaces of the heatsink and processor that you want to use with alcolhol and apply fresh thermal paste before you install it

mxer108 said:
where do u get themal paste at and do u just have to put a little on in the same spot as before

Radio Shack might have some thermal paste, and yes, you put a small amount on the center of a clean processor top...

just put the new ps in and got the other processor in. Now when i go to my computer and then go to properties it shows this (1.75GHz) it doesnt say that it is a 3000+. My old setup said 2800+ at 2.90GHz. is what i pun in really better? i looked up what the hp a700n is supposed to have in it and is siad 1 x AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / 2.1 GHz and that is not how it is showing up on my comp.

can it be overclocked and if so how do i do that?

The motherboard may have jumpers or a bios setting to select the proper processor speed, or the processor is not exactly compatible with the eMachines motherboard. Forget about overclocking. If you overclock, you may just end up with 2 junk computers

Lol, overclocking an e-machines? I wouldn't recommend it. Just not made for overclocking.

lol ok im learning slowly. but i think im going to buy a whole new processor, motherboard, and ram. it finally wont be a emachine.

mxer108 said:
lol ok im learning slowly. but i think im going to buy a whole new processor, motherboard, and ram. it finally wont be a emachine.

That's a great idea! I've done it many times. Be sure to change the power supply too. The only thing left will be the case. Too bad we can't get rid of that big (e)

lol i will sand down the e paint it and then it will just be a black button. oh and do i really need a new power supply becauase i have the better one out of the hp?

Your motherboard, CPU and Memory choices are ok. Yes I think the HP power supply will be better if all the cables are long enough and it is compatible with the new motherboard as far as power connectors for SATA and such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back