Profits rise for Lenovo as company beats Apple in US PC sales

Scorpus

Staff member

Lenovo is one of the few PC businesses that is doing particularly well despite a slumping market, today reporting revenues of $38.7 billion for the year ending March 2014, up 14% year-on-year. Profits have also risen by 29% for the Chinese company, up to $817 million.

During the past fiscal year, Lenovo shipped 55 million PCs, 9.2 million tablets, and 50 million smartphones. According to Lenovo's data, assisted by market research firm IDC, in the past three months the company has managed to outsell Apple in the United States for the first time. This puts Lenovo in third place overall, behind HP and Dell.

While sales in China, Lenovo's largest market, only grew 1.3% year-on-year, the company saw huge gains in EMEA and the Americas, which were up 27% and 31% respectively.

Much of Lenovo's success can be attributed to their strong ThinkPad and Yoga offerings, whose creative form factors and compelling hardware have proven popular with consumers. Lenovo's Android-based smartphones have also been selling well in Asian countries, and with Motorola now on-board, its smartphone division will only grow.

Permalink to story.

I had a Thinkpad for several years and loved it. Next laptop was a Samsung Series 9 which was good, but not as good as the Thinkpad. My next laptop will be a Thinkpad again.

Even though I know the Chinese have put some kind of device in it to track everything I do.

I've been using IBM/ThinkPad/Lenovo for over 16 years now, and I've noticed the quality has been going down recently. If it wasn't for the staff discount, I'd been onto something else already. Competition really isn't as innovative, unless you buy into the Apple eco-platform.

Edite: Lenovo has a strong foothold in the professional market in terms of desktops and laptops. The quality of service to businesses is what helps keeps them on top. In fact the laptop im typing on right now is a Lenovo ThinkPad L420 from the office.

Last edited:
I loved my Thinkpads back in the IBM days, Lenovo has done -okay- with the line, but between recently changing the iconic keyboard (not just design, but even layout which is tantamount to sacriledge) and lagging behind even Dell in refreshes, the line just has not been as appealing. They are pushing their Lenovo laptops a lot harder than the [Lenovo] Thinkpad line, and that's probably where they make a lot of that profit.

IBM has a strong foothold in the professional market in terms of desktops and laptops. The quality of service to businesses is what helps keeps them on top. In fact the laptop im typing on right now is a Lenovo ThinkPad L420 from the office.

Good for IBM. This article is about Lenovo, not IBM.

I have a 3-4year old Lenovo U460 and it's 100x better than my HP elitebook and my previous Dell offering.

I've never had a Lenovo product, but I most hear good things about them. I have ASUS laptop and their support sucks ***. I have their latest drivers that are from 2011 and they don't even plan to make a new one in the future.

I've never had a Lenovo product, but I most hear good things about them. I have ASUS laptop and their support sucks ***. I have their latest drivers that are from 2011 and they don't even plan to make a new one in the future.
Most commercial support is pretty crappy in general. But as for the drivers, that is a common issue since most driver support ends within a year since a new model is unveiled.

Back