TechSpot

Programming Forum?

By lokem
Apr 4, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to create a "Programming Forum". No doubt that this is a hardware centric site and forum, I'm sure there are those who are interested in the "other" side of computing.

What do you guys think?

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I'm into programming myself but I'm not sure there's such a crowd around here.

I do a lot of Delphi & whenever I need tips or I find something, I usually go to DelphiPages

It would be a good idea to have a programming forum but if it's only for two peope to come visit & post ... ;)

3. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 709

Personally, I'd like to see a programming forum. I am a newbie when it comes to programming so I only know a little Java, but I would like to know lots more. I'm really interested in C++ and assemble coding so I would like to see some talk about that.

4. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 672

I'm sure there'll be increasing interest as the forum grows. ;) Any other comments on this?

5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,609   +295

I usually read the forums to get away from programming which is my work...

As the 3dspotlight main page says "Your definitive PC Hardware/Gaming resource"
    I can't really say that Programming falls under that but if there is a demand for one then so be it... ;)

6. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 980

The "Portable Computing Laptops and PDAs, and all those nasty little gadgets." forum isn't exactly setting the pages ablaze. :hotouch:

7. androb

androb TS Rookie Posts: 37

Well am a programmer And they HAVE to do one :)

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I'm all for programming but I have to admit, it doesn't seem like it fits under the scope of this site. Nowhere on Techspot will you find programming suite reviews, sample code and programming tutorials. It's majorly hardware, with a splash of software consisting mostly of tweaking utilities.

I can't say I wouldn't like to see one, but I just don't think it fits in the integral puzzle that is TS.

9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,059   +646

I think there is a good chance of putting up a Programming board here, after all, while that isn't covered on the site itself, we do have programmers and IT engineers reading the site, plus... it's PC related.

If there are a few more members interested, I will sure give it a go. So, anyone else?

10. androb

yes!!!, please a programming forum

11. Arris

*Arris avoids any programming forum like the plague*

12. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

I program in VB :)

And then there would be somewhere for my tweaking program to have a permanent thread :D

13. lokem

Yes! This thread is finally getting some response ;) Any other takers for this?

I code mostly in Java, but do tend to do some PHP (when there's time) and would really like to do Qt as well :)

14. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,059   +646

I'm almost convinced that the Programming forum will be worth putting up. :approve:

15. lokem

*gasp* So what's missing?? :D

16. androb

You program in VB? good, I program in (ASP,PHP,JSP,CFM,PERL/CGI) - (JAVA,C/C++,J++,VB,VB++,VBSCRIPT,JAVASCRIPT) - (XML,XSL) Aanda lot of more :)

17. Arris

I program in logic (most of the time ;) )

18. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

Ok, so since this thread is quite old, I don't see any forum which applies to this topic.
    Has anything happened with it?
    I'm a little rusty at basic programming since it's been 20+ years, just wondered what program would be recommended, etc.