Programs and files (rar and zip) open very slowly

By g-mac123
Dec 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Within the past few weeks opening RAR and ZIP files has become a major hassle. I use winRAR but once I double click a file to open it, I need to wait at least 2 minutes (does not depend on file size) for the file to actually open. In addition, programs (notably flashfxp) do not work perfectly or at all in some instances or very slow to open, same as zips.

Anything you can think of to help would be great

I have already reinstalled, defragmented, and done spy and adware checks.

I have a hijack this logfile if you want to see it, but it looks normal to me.

Thanks for any assistance you can give!
  2. akalol111

akalol111 Newcomer, in training

have you tried disabling virusscan?

I was having a similar problem where all my zip files would take FOREVER to open and they never used to do that. I found out my McAffee virus scan was auto scanning any zip file I opened. Only after the scan was complete it would let winrar open the file. That sometimes took a couple minutes depending on the archives contents. I fixed that simply by going into McAffee's On-Access Scan properties and unchecking scan compressed files option. Now all my zip files open in less than a second.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.