Programs crash after cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi everyone. I have just finished upgrading my old computer with an intel pentium 3 600mhz cpu. The upgrade went ok but when i try to use internet explorer, windows live messeger or any other web based application the program will just crash with a message saying "This program has encounted a problem and needs to close". It never use to do this with my old celeron. Could this be a problem with the cpu? or do i just simply need to reinstall windows?

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with it would be awsome.

By the way when i turn on my computer the bios says it is a 600EBMHZ what ever that means.

You may just wanna try reinstalling windows. Sometimes the OS does weird things when you replace the CPU, even though in theory it shouldn't make a difference.

Ok i uninstalled windows xp and installed windows 98. Programs dont crash anymore but the computer does randomly freeze. Is it possible that there is a compatibility issue with my processor and anouther peice of hardware in my computer?
My system specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium III 600EB MHZ
192MB Ram
SiS 6326 8MB AGP 2X video card
10GB Seagate ST310014ACE
Aztech 2320 ISA sound card
NEC 52X CD-ROM Drive IDE

I just found out that my web based programs are still crashing even after installing 98. This time it shows me a message saying "this program has performed an illegal operation and needs to close"

Any other suggestions? i really want to get my computer working properly again.

Yeah, 192mb RAM is barely enough to run Windows XP.

Try seeing if you can get up to date drivers. This may be hard to do, esp. with windows 98 and older hardware, but you may be able to find something.

Worst case scenario, your motherboard may just be on its way out.

My power Supply is a 200watt. Is that enough to run the p3 properly? Its a 600Mhz, 133Mhz FSB Socket 370.

for your system, it could be, or it could not be. I'd try a new PSU of at least 300 watts. 200 watts is really pushing it even for an older system like yours.

I was just wondering. What is the difference between a P3 600 and a P3 600EB anyway? And is it possible that there could be something wrong with the cpu?

nissanman said:
I was just wondering. What is the difference between a P3 600 and a P3 600EB anyway? And is it possible that there could be something wrong with the cpu?

difference between EB and normal processors

EB is faster and support support (SMP) instructions (symmetrical multiprocessing)

take a look hier http://tweakers.net/nieuws/10934/Pentium-III-Coppermine-866EB-FC-PGA-review.html

What about your FSB, Ram clock??? is every component compatible with faster CPU???

nissanman said:
How can i tell if they are compatible?

If u want stabile system and beter performance Motherboard FSB , RAM frequency and CPU clock rate must be same. Download some test programs like sisoft sandra or CPU-Z and test your system, also chek the BIOS settings. Actually Celeroon processors have lower clock rate than Pentuim processors. chek also jumper setting on mobo, (multiplayer and clock rate of CPU)

u can also read this http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/fcpga600/page2.asp

I think your new Pentium3 600EB CPU isn't compatible whit your mobo.

Man this is crazy. Why the FUK did you install Win98 ,, That was a good OS 10 years ago, but not now!, Its very unsecure and will not be too reliable!,

I dont know wat you were thinkin on this one!

Call me crazy, but why not put the old Celeron, that was working, back in and see if your problems continue. If everything is good, then you have narrowed down the culprit, the "newer"....or other CPU.

Ok, I will have to agree with halo71. At this time there's no point of upgrade a Celeron (you don't say the speed) to a PIII 600, back in the day there was a lot of improvements but all software nowadays included web based applications won't be any fast with this kind of upgrade.

Even when tweakboy might sound rude with you he's right (I mean maybe nissanman don't even know how bad is win98), Win 98 is just a Pain in the *****, I suggest you to get rid of it right away. Even when this Win98 might run faster on your system (because it was built around the same days as the hardware) it won't be a reliable PC.

Your PC it's very old and I understand if you can't afford a better PC at the moment, but there are cheaper ways to get out the best performance of what you got, like upgrading RAM and HDD, you still might be able to find some good deals at local swap meets or maybe ebay, if you want you can provide us with brand and model of your MOBO and we will try to help you find something.

Well back in the subject I don't think your problem resides in your PSU, a cpu upgrade of that kind won't drain much more power. First try putting back your old CPU, if that solves the problem then there you go, if not then I believe there is some driver incompatibility with one of the components, you also can give it a try to windows 2000, it's much more reliable than 98 and won't be as heavy as XP for your system.

Well good luck and let us know if we can help a little more. :wave:

Ive put my old celeron back in (533/66) and the computer appears to be working fine now. Which means that there is something wrong with the P3. But i still wanna get a better cpu to make this old comp go faster. I am thinking of getting a P3 Tualatin 1.13Ghz. Are they any good? I also really need to know the Clock Multiplier of this CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back