Programs Crashing Constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

irobot

Hello everyone,

i just built a new pc (see specs)

and ALL of my programs either have crashed once or haven't even launched, a quick reboot fixes the problems sometimes, but when some programs work other programs don't.

ex: my firefox will crash, but xfire works, then i reboot, and now firefox works but xfire doesn't.

i even rebooted once to find that ALL of my programs are "not responding" or instantly crashing, but some other useless programs (well, not useless but things i don't really use) such as minesweeper or paint will work.

i was wondering if changing to a 32-bit OS will fix most or all of these problems or would it rather be a hardware issue, maybe my HDD or RAM not finding files or not saving them correctly or something.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you may have hardware problem. The quickest way to troubleshoot is by using the Event Viewer. By finding the Error(s) that occurs at the same time as the crash, we can better determine the cause(s):

Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. Please do not include Warnings or Information Events.

Alright well i tried to go to the event viewer but it didnt even load, rebooted tried again and it crashed, so i was like F*** this and installed regular 32bit windows just to see, and still programs would crash, so then i finally i ran memtest and found that my RAM had over 40k errors, i am getting a replacement right now and will run memtest right away and make a new post.

hopefully my new RAM will work properly, and fix my problems! :(

Let us know how you do with the new memory. If there are any problems, try getting the Event Viewer up again.

you might need more RAM, i have XFIRE also and it doesnt crash with 1GB RAM so if you have that i would say press ctr+alt+del, open task manager, go to performance and check your cache and all your stats, if all that checks out you might have to many games and stuff on your hard drive and might be low on memory, also remember that gaming takes alot out of your computer like a day at the gym, u might be pushing it a lil to hard, idk what you play so idk what else to tell you

anyways keep me poster

QUICK

Fixed!

I just got my RAM in the mail today! took super extra precaution while i installed it.

I only let memtest86+ pass twice with each module by itself, each passed twice with no errors! so thats good! :) But I DID let memtest86+ run the following night with both modules installed: 14 passes no errors.

For anyone else that may read this:

For the Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe Mobo you !MUST! flash/update your BIOS if you want to run Dual Channel! You must also set the timings and voltage manually.

Before i sent my memory for an RMA i did NOT flash the BIOS even though it probably wouldn't have mattered (just a little FYI)

So with the BIOS flash i have the current settings:

Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4)
Dual Channel Enabled (mobo automatically detects and enables it)
4-4-4-12 2T @ 2.1v (advertised timings)

Everything seems to be in working order for now. thank you all for your input and hopefully this will help anyone else that has the same issue!

The Problem: Programs constantly crashing over and over and over....
My Particular Solution: Get new RAM

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back