Programs Either Get The Error 'Not Responding' Or Won't Start At All

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Problem Is That My PC Has Been Running Very Slowly Lately, Including That Most Programs Get The Error 'Not Responding' Very Easily, Like When I Do Multiple Clicks Or Try To Run An App Based On Flash And Many Programs (Like iTunes) Won't Open, Though It Will Get A Process In The Task-Manager... I've Analysed My PC For Viruses, Checked The Registry For Failures, Checked For Updates...

Does Anyone Have Any Tips?

This link is no less than 8 pages long at the moment, I start you in the middle, roughly 2008. You could carefully check onward from that point and see what applies to you https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58483-5.html

However, your type of problem has so many possible reasons it is hard to be sure what to recommend. Make sure that you look at the anti-virus and spyware forum on this site for the lastest and best methods of detecting spyware and other nasties. Just any-old-security will not do !! Check the hardware - have you run chkdsk /f to see if the HDD is ok, and is there plenty of spare space?

Basically, all one can say at this point is that for so many programms to be giving 'not responding' is definitely something badly wrong. Give thre three-finger-salute ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and look at the processes tab. Click the CPU column to bring the process using most CPU to the top. What is it?

This link is no less than 8 pages long at the moment, I start you in the middle, roughly 2008. You could carefully check onward from that point and see what applies to you *

However, your type of problem has so many possible reasons it is hard to be sure what to recommend. Make sure that you look at the anti-virus and spyware forum on this site for the lastest and best methods of detecting spyware and other nasties. Just any-old-security will not do !! Check the hardware - have you run chkdsk /f to see if the HDD is ok, and is there plenty of spare space?

Basically, all one can say at this point is that for so many programms to be giving 'not responding' is definitely something badly wrong. Give thre three-finger-salute ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and look at the processes tab. Click the CPU column to bring the process using most CPU to the top. What is it?

First, Thank You For Your Help.
Now,

About chkdsk /f, When Trying To Do It, I Got The Error "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
I Typed "y", So Yeah, Lil' More On That The Next Time I Boot Up My PC.
There Definitely Is Enough Space (275GB).

Then, Firefox Uses 2% Of My P8600 (2,40 GHz)...
One More Thing, Which I Doubt Changes Anything, But I'm On A Laptop...
(I Think It Was The HP Pavilion DV7 2010eg)

Did You Reboot?

About chkdsk /f, When Trying To Do It, I Got The Error "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
I Typed "y", So Yeah, Lil' More On That The Next Time I Boot Up My PC.

For starters,

Try doing a Start\Run\SFC /scannow, this will restore any damaged or missing windows files.

Do a disk cleanup to remove all temp files etc.

So did checkdisk run when you rebooted. If your Antivirus is up to date, run a scan. If not post in that forum as you probably have a virus or trojan.

For starters,

Try doing a Start\Run\SFC /scannow, this will restore any damaged or missing windows files.

Do a disk cleanup to remove all temp files etc.

So did checkdisk run when you rebooted. If your Antivirus is up to date, run a scan. If not post in that forum as you probably have a virus or trojan.

So, Always When I Open SFC, It Crashes, Didn't Work.
I Do A Disk Cleanup (Ccleaner) Every Day Twice, That Shouldn't Be The Problem, Also, I Have Scanned My Computer For Viruses, None Found, And It's Pretty New (McAfee Total Protection 2010)
So Yeah, Thanks, But Nothing Worked :(

McAfee had a poor reputation some time ago, don't know where it ranks today. However, it is quite common to have some conflict between an anti-virus and particular settings or even hardware on any given PC. What you might try is an app that runs local (itunes perhaps) that demonstrates your problem. Then disable your network by whatever means, so you cannot get any netwrok activity, and also temporarily disable your McAfee. Then what is the performance of your PC like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back