Programs freeze when opened...new comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd Christman

Hi, i just got a new computer, and it has a 3.06Ghz Processor, but everytime i click on a program to run it, my comp. takes like...1 min. to actually load up the program, and then it freezes and says its not responding....any ideas on why its doin this? Also, when i try to change my screensaver is the display properties, my comp. freezes completely and so i have to restart it. Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm thinking about taking it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but i just wanted to kno what u guys thot first.

Right click on "my computer" then select "manage" then "event viewer".

Poke around in that section looking for errors. It may give you a hint as to what is going on with your system.

alrite, im not on my comp. rite now, but say i do find errors, what do i do after i find them? like, do i exit that n then uninstall it or what?

Depends on what kind of errors you find in there, if you find any at all.

It is usually just a good place to start, as if that is where your problem is, then perhaps the solutions are easy and cheap.

alrite....well my friend said to do ctrl alt delete to check my processor or somethin like that, but the task manager isnt poppin up....should i re-install xp?

ctrl/alt/del normally brings up the task manager to show you want programs are running. Sometimes you can see in there which program it is that is freezing. But sometimes if the freeze is too severe, you can't even get the task manager up.

I reinstall windows once a year or so just to clean the system, but I don't think that the symtoms you are having are necessarily a sign that you need to reinstall. It could be as simple as an out of date driver. Hopefully, the "event viewer" will tell you what is causing the errors. If not, the trouble shooting is a little trickier.

So i checked my event folder, and it turns out that pretty much 9 outta 10 of the errors were "nview items" which nview is from my nvidia video card, which i thought was pretty funny, so im going to uninstall my video card when my new one arrives, and hopefully that fixes the problem....one more thing...is there anyway to get the task manager workin? i mean, i push ctrl+alt+delete, but nothin happens

Wait a minute....

you mean that this problem of not being able to get your task manager open is a permanent thing? I thought it was only happening when your computer is frozen.

If you can not open the task manager while the computer is running, you've been bugged.

You'll need to go to THIS thread, follow the instructions in detaill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back