Programs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

Ok, regardless of money, do you think my programs list, below, is the best you can get. Now you can say, swap this, for that, but don't say add this and this. You can tell me to remove programs if needed Also consider system resources, if it hogs the computer or not, e.g. Norton.

Anti-virus:
-avast!

Anti-Spyware:
-Malwarebytes
-Winpatrol
-S&D
-Hijackthis
-Ad-aware 2008

Other:
-CCleaner
-Comodo
-Diskeeper Pro Premier 2008 and Auslogics disk defrag (which is better?)

There you have it!

Too much junque in my book. Diskkeeper Pro is worthless. Doesn't make any real difference. Read the reviews.
CCleaner and Comodo are ok, but Comodo raises hell with some installs if you use Internet Explorer. ZoneAlarm free is less trouble.
Adaware 2008 is fine, and HiJack This is a good tool. But I would drop the rest, then replace with MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware, or spend some money and get either Spyware Doctor or Webroot's Spyware.
Also important is what you use for a browser.
Keep it simple. Too much second tier spyware removers are just going to clutter things up without doing you much good.

raybay said:
Too much junque in my book. Diskkeeper Pro is worthless. Doesn't make any real difference. Read the reviews.
CCleaner and Comodo are ok, but Comodo raises hell with some installs if you use Internet Explorer. ZoneAlarm free is less trouble.
Adaware 2008 is fine, and HiJack This is a good tool. But I would drop the rest, then replace with MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware, or spend some money and get either Spyware Doctor or Webroot's Spyware.
Also important is what you use for a browser.
Keep it simple. Too much second tier spyware removers are just going to clutter things up without doing you much good.
Ok, i just downloaded Counterspy v2, is that any good? I used this website for the reviews
http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/counterspy-review.html
http://www.download.com/CounterSpy/3000-8022_4-10337358.html
P.S. i think ie sucks, i use Firefox. S&D is a must in my book.
Whats the best one out there that is compatible with firefox 3?

Do you have another thread listing these programs? I have already addressed this subject.

No i don't... Anyway!
I can't get Counterspy, so what else should i try? Whats the next best thing, best thing out there for a replacement!

Apparently the reply didn't go through as I mentioned i wasn't familiar with 'Bazooka' and had to look it up:
Anti-virus:
-avast! OK
Anti-Spyware:
-Spyware terminator (Crawler - legit version) OK if wanted.
-S&D- OK
-Spyware blaster- OK
-Hijackthis- Not needed all the time
-Bazooka (Very Very quick scan - Seconds)- As mentioned, I am unfamiliar with this program. However, it proposes it does the work of antivirus, firewall and spyware/adware programs. Your choice- 'if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't.
-Ad-aware 2008- OK
Other:
-CCleaner- I don't recommend running this all the time
-Comodo- Firewall? Good
-Diskeeper Pro Premier 2008 and Auslogics disk defrag (which is better?) Neither are necessary. You can defrag without a third party program.

Please keep in mind. You are asking for opinions here in addition to recommendations. For that reason, they may be different.

I wouldn't have recommended that with what you already have> because:
1. Price is $30
2. Auto-Scanning on startup is going to slow you down.
3. Automatic Updates check for program and definition updates every 8 hours> a spyware program doesn't need to be accessing the internet on a regular basis, looking for updates.
4. Daily Definition Updates> A spyware program doesn't need to do this.

The main thing you need to remember is that YOU are the first line of security- how you surf, if you click on pop-ups, go to unfamiliar sites, open emails from people you don't know, open unknown attachments, and on and on.

You can put many security programs on a system and STILL get infected so don't think you can be careless because you installed many programs. I don't have anywhere near this number and have stayed clean because I'm careful. I do regular maintenance which includes scanning with my security programs, updating each right before the scan.

Anti-virus:
-avast!
Anti-Spyware:
-SASpro- use of wanted
-S&D
-Hijackthis- does not need to be run unless malware is expected
-Ad-aware 2008
Other:
-CCleaner
-Comodo
-Diskeeper Pro Premier 2008 and Auslogics disk defrag (which is better?)
See notes above. I would skip Diskeeper or Auslogics and use the Windows defrag instead.
The main thing you need to remember is that YOU are the first line of security- how you surf, if you click on pop-ups, go to unfamiliar sites, open emails from people you don't know, open unknown attachments, and on and on. You can put many security programs on a system and STILL get infected so don't think you can be careless because you installed many programs.

Just got a virus and avast saved me! Got that hddre.exe virus thing! Luckily Avast noticed 1/2 of it!

You need one good Spyware program. SuperAntispyware is no better than average. You might try MalwareBytes which works quickly and is free, without all the irritating graphics. Diskeeper is below average and really makes little difference. Have not used Auslogics.
Windows Defrag is as good as any, but slower than some. I see no reason not to use it.

I can't identify the spelling 'hddre.exe' The closest I could come was hddreg.exe- the executable (or perhaps the setup package) for a hard drive "regenerator" program (http://discovervalue.com/hard_drive_regenerator)

And I advise at least 2 spyware/adware programs. They don't all have the same databases and some scan differently.

So i need one more snti-spyware Correct? I will use malwarebytes, which is better than superantipyware? is it?

Ok, i have removed antispyware, and installed Malwarebytes, and the update was minature! And it found 2 objects and it scanned more files too! I buy this...
Ok, is my list ok now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back