Project Scorpio official specs could arrive this week

midian182

Staff member

Barring a handful of news items, there hasn’t been much new information released this year about Microsoft’s upcoming Project Scorpio console. It’ll undoubtedly be a big part of the company’s E3 presentation in June, but reports suggest we’re going to find out more about the machine sometime this week.

Windows Central claims a “major gaming outlet” recently visited Microsoft to check out Scorpio’s internals “ahead of a planned exclusive blowout of coverage.” Forza Motorsport 7 is said to have been used to show off the console’s power and 4K visuals. It's also thought that Microsoft will demo Star Wars: Battlefront II and Red Dead Redemption 2 on Scorpio at some point.

The Inner Circle believes the specs will arrive this Thursday via Digital Foundry.

The report lines up with Xbox head Phil Spencer’s March statement that Scorpio details could be released before June as “doing everything at E3 would be difficult.”

“Clearly we’re gonna talk about Scorpio at E3” he said on IGN’s unlocked. “I also don’t want to take up the majority of the time doing things about hardware.”

“I like our E3 show being about games,” he added. Additionally, Spencer was asked by a Twitter user about Scorpio's specs being released this week, he neither confirmed nor denied the rumors.

We already know that Scorpio will boast 6 teraflops of computing power, 12GB of GDDR5, 8 CPU cores, and 320 GB/s of memory bandwidth. It’s said to come in a compact design, despite sporting an internal power supply.

Last month, it was reported that owners of non-4K TVs would be able to take advantage of Scorpio’s technology, thanks to supersampling that renders games at a higher-than-1080p resolution before downscaling to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges and shadows.

While there are some who claim Scorpio could challenge the PC as the best gaming machine available, it seems the console won’t have one of its rival platform’s best features: upgradeable components. “The idea that users will open up a console and change compute components inside seems like a stretch to me,” said Spencer.

Permalink to story.

If they dont stay competitive this xbox will be dead on arrival. If they dont sell it for 399 out the gate they can kiss this launch goodbye.

I have peered into the crystal ball (PlayStation 9):

Microsoft reveals Scorpio specs are better than PS4 Pro in mid-April --> Sony uses E3 to announce their contingency plan, the PlayStation 4 Pro Ultimate ('PS4U' for short) for "gamers who demand the absolute best." --> Sony uses new abbreviation as core message in marketing plan --> Sony reports better Holiday hardware sales than Microsoft despite still not having a robust library --> PS Plus subscription raised to $80/yr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have peered into the crystal ball (PlayStation 9):

Microsoft reveals Scorpio specs are better than PS4 Pro in mid-April --> Sony uses E3 to announce their contingency plan, the PlayStation 4 Pro Ultimate ('PS4U' for short) for "gamers who demand the absolute best." --> Sony uses new abbreviation as core message in marketing plan --> Sony reports better Holiday hardware sales than Microsoft despite still not having a robust library --> PS Plus subscription raised to $60/yr.
We'll most likely see the PS5 in a year or 2. Sony has nothing to fear, especially because of this year's "bad" game lineup for Xbox.

If they dont stay competitive this xbox will be dead on arrival. If they dont sell it for 399 out the gate they can kiss this launch goodbye.

Seems reasonable considering the XBOX One S is currently $249 and it launched at $299. So A $150 price increase for the "premium" experience in a family of XBOX devices seems appropriate. I see Microsoft possibly pushing the initial price high again, because....well Microsoft And I say that as a fan of the company.

If its any more than $399 they have no shot. Watch SONY drop the PS4 Pro to $349 and pull the rug out from under Microsoft.

I realize you guys are saying stuff like this because you want consoles to be cheaper, and we all want that. At the same time it wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to start at a "competitive" price point right at the start when demand for the new console is at its highest. Most likely they will start at 499 and drop the price once initial demand subsides. I'm thinking by Black Friday or the holiday season you'll probably get your wish of 399 price point.

If its any more than $399 they have no shot. Watch SONY drop the PS4 Pro to $349 and pull the rug out from under Microsoft.

It's a given that the ps4 pro will drop to $349 the day scorpio launches if not a week or two before hand. The real question is what are the specs of the scorpio...??? If it's using a custom low power zen architecture cpu with a custom vega gpu then $499 is a non issue, as it'll be far superior to the ps4 pro (and should actually be considered next gen.) if they're still using jaguar with a vega gpu then it's very comparable with the ps4 pro and would cost $399. Now there's no reason for MS to wait a whole extra year if they aren't going to take advantage of either Zen or Vega so we know one or both of the new architectures will be used. That will determine the end price.

Even if PS 5 launches next year it will still be using Zen and Vega as navi won't be out till 2019, and Zen will be AMDs architecture for the next few years as well. Seems MS is just jumping on next gen early.

Back