TechSpot

Promise Fasttrak 378 w/ Raid 0 Sata prob.

By hornunjd
May 27, 2007
  1. Hey all, first post here - I've scoured the net looking for a solution to my problem, but haven't found anything!

mobo: Asus k8v Se Deluxe
    2 Seagate 160 gb Sata 1
    1 Seagate 75 gb Sata 1

I'm running Winxp off of the 75, which is on a separate controller from the 2 Seagate 160s I'm trying to put in to a Raid 0 array on the Promise Fasttrack 378 Controller.

Here's the problem:
    I can get the bios to recognize that there's 2 drives on the Promise controller. I set them to a Raid 0 array. I go in to Windows, but in the drive list, it only lists ONE massive 300ish gb drive. I don't think that's right... There appears to be no hardware malfunctions or driver errors in the hardware list. I'm totally stumped.. Windows simply doesn't show the drive until I format it using the disk manager, and then it only shows one massive drive (should show one 160 gb drive)... Any help would be really appreciated, I'm totally confused.

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

2 x 160 Gb drives in Raid 0 = 1 x 320 Gb drive to the computer.

That is Raid 0.

If you want Raid 1, check your manual again. Seems you didn't input right.

:)

3. hornunjd

hornunjd TS Rookie Topic Starter

I was under the impression raid 0 was 160 + 160 = 160, just at higher data transfer speeds??

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Nope!............

edit: the 'higher transfer rate' is actually a product of the fact that two hard drive heads are searching for data bits at almost the same time rather than 1.

Actual improvements in speed are usually small - with 10k+ hard drives Raid 0 does benchmark faster at SOME duties.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.