Prompting for user # on a network printer

miken68

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

User # is inputted into regular preferences under the printer driver preferences. I'd like to bypass this and have the printer prompt for a user #, (just on the machines specified in 1st post)

Yes I read that, but there's no script running from which the prompt might be produced,
unless you would attach and share those printers from a central site.

Best wishes ...

Can you post what your users see on the screen for their #? Why are you charging (employee or customers to print at your office on usage?) Most departments in large scale environment maintain printer in there location/department per allocation of department funds. Having users type in codes to gain access to printer to print causes production/progress delays. There is a better way.

it's a departmental budgeting system where I.T. services are used as a Profit Center rather than a Cost center. All expense (equip, paper, ink, staff,...) are proportioned back to the departments that use them.

ie: some brain *art from another MBA :wave:

print.jpg

Here where employees enter user number, unfortunately most employees do not even know how to get to this screen.

There is no delay in printing as this user number for each employee is saved on this menu.

My inquiry is just for two "open" computers.

Thanks for posting the image, does help get an idea what's going on there? Who setup this up? Sharp Rep Tech or you or someone in your IT. Sound like it was better to setup users by profile to access this printer. Then you know who's printing what an etc. This way if the new employee wasn't trained on how to access this dialog box each time to print then you'll run into this issue. So you want 2x systems to have open access or have this be prompted.

it's a departmental budgeting system where I.T. services are used as a Profit Center rather than a Cost center. All expense (equip, paper, ink, staff,...) are proportioned back to the departments that use them.

ie: some brain *art from another MBA :wave:

Well I use to manage and recommend network laser high volume printers at one client site. Each department had cost codes to use if they needed to create a ticket for repair, toner replacement and such. Each of the printer are leased by the outsourcing firmware or Corporate Express support the department with re-factory service toner carts (hated that toner system) messy.

My own guess based on a quick look at
1) Your snapshot and
2) MX-5500N | MX-6200N | MX-7000N Brochure which says
You can even save your preferences for fast recall

Look at the Preferences Screen you gave for your snapshot. Try clicking the Defaults button to reset defaults. Then setup what you want (and click Save). You may need to play with the check mark by User Number (i didn't see anything more detailed that explains its significance)

tipstir: not sure who set this up, but this is how management likes it done, each user number is setup for a given employee profile, print jobs are tracked and recorded. Each employee is then charged based on type of jobs (ie: black/white or color). The 2x systems at the moment have their own user accounts for open access to the printers. Management would like to track and charge users that print from these stations. (ie: prompt for a user number).

LookinAround: Appreciate the input, and yes setting default to clear user number is ideal for those who know what they are doing, problem is if a user inputs their number into this field, that user number will be saved for further print jobs. If that user doesn't go back into this menu and either apply default settings or just remove their user #, another employee could get on the station after said user and print. Now the 1st user will be charged for subsequent jobs until user number is changed or removed. I don't pretend to trust in the integrity of employees, nor does management.

Otherwise, best i can do is point you to the user manual i found

1. Start at SharpUsa website
2. Product Model: select Not listed
3. Enter model number: MX-6200N
4. Download type: Owners Manual
5. Click Search

then download the doc. Hope it (or your Sharp representative might be able to give more help)

Ya I've gone through that entire manual. I have it right here too. I'll take your advice and contact sharp. See if they have any input.
Thanks for all the input

Back