Proper temperature for pentium 4 - 2.66 ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidabiri

hi,
i have a couple of questions. i have an asus p5rd1-v mobo and a pentium 4 - 2.66 cpu installed with fan. the mobo has a temperature and fan speed monitor installed. the cpu temperature shows 113 degrees f. and the system temperature (inside case showls about 80 f). someone told me that it is too hot. so, i installed another fan and now the stable temperature is about 109 degrees f. is this ok? or is it too hot?
my second question:
how can i overclock my cpu on the mobo setup? when i go there, it is grayed out. or maybe set to automatic. the manual says it's do-able, but i haven't figured it out yet. any ideas?

I'm used to seeing the temps in °C but that doesn't sound hot at all. My PC has a 3.0GHz P4 that idles at around 45°C and maxes out at 60°C under load.

OC settings would be in the BIOS, you may need to switch the auto configuration to manual. It should be covererd in the documentation.

thanks JMM
i suppose i'm ok then. f temps converted to c is (f-32)/1.8 or c to f is (c*1.8)+32
so 45 C is right on the spot (113 f). i guess i'm ok.
i'll check the manual to see if i can tweak the oc again.

thanks again.

If you do get scared of the temps, get a new CPU cooler. I have a Coolermaster one that's rated for 3.2 ghz Prescott and Northwood and mine is only 2.72 ghz and it runs at about 34 degrees C idle and 40 degrees under load (pretty good eh?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back