Properties for hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a samsung hard drive originally in computer. Now have installed a seagate 200gb hard drive. My question is why won't the computer recognize the seagate 200gb? Instead the computer still recognizes the 64 gb samsung hard drive even though it is not installed. Where are all of my gbs? I have run the Flash Bios update that Was recommended by Compaq but after doing that come up with a Check sum issue. Would greatly appreciate any help here.

OK, I probably can't get you past the check sum issue with the BIOS. And the answer to your problem may have something to do with the age of your computer. But I see you've been waiting a day so here are a few thoughts that might help.

The first thing I would do is boot up the machine and see if I can get into BIOS. If you can, tell the BIOS to redetect the primary drive - assuming you've replaced the old drive and not simply added a new one. Then save and your machine will restart. That's the quick and easy solution. And who knows? Will probably clear up the checksum problem. If this doesn't work...

Go to your manufacturer's site (like Dell, Gateway, eMachine (also Gateway), HP...). In your case Compaq? The site should have your original set up, but you have to know your model number or serial number or order number, etc. If your machine is old you may have to look in the Archived support area. But from your note, you may be past that. You should be able to get all the specs, including the BIOS manufacturer here. The user's manual may have a way to clear/reset BIOS via a jumper setting. (I THINK that's right.)

When you flash the BIOS, you have to be very careful and follow instructions exactly. Depending on which BIOS you have (Award, Phoenix, AMI, etc.) you may be able to get help on their site if not Compaq's.

Now, as to the HD, you need to have the correct cable, it needs to be attached properly, and your machine needs to be able to handle it. You may not have this problem but here's a very nice (old) site that explains:
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Also, with cable select (CS) the problem of setting up the BIOS should be gone. But if you have a very old machine, you may need to go into the BIOS and specify your new drive. Also, I believe some older machines simply can not handle large drives. I don't know if simply upgrading the BIOS can overcome this. It has something to do with HD sectors and that's all I know. :) (I think there's also something weird about Compaqs?)

I think that should cover it. But to get better help, post your system specs. At least the type of Compaq. BIOS name and version, number of drives: DVD, CD, HD.

Good luck.

The motherboard of the machine must have 48 bit LBA (logical block addressing) to take advantage of more than 137 GB of any HDD installed. (This is the "older machines issue mentioned above).

You didn't exactly state what type of drive you have. If an IDE type, (flat ribbon cable 2" wide) the jumper on the back of the drive must be set to master, see your drives instructions.

The BIOS check sum error could amount to a dead motherboard in a worst case scenario. As Ruthe said, you need to get the instructions on how to revert the BIOS to the original, before trying to reflash it. Good luck, sometimes a bad BIOS update amounts to a death sentence for a motherboard. Here again, with a bit of luck, if nothing else works, AND the BIOS is a socketed type, sometimes the chip can be purchased and replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back