Proxies Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaox

Where i live, youtube has been blocked by the internet provider and i can access it though a proxy, but i can not watch the videos. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Your ISP is not only blocking the IP address of YouTube, but the port(s) necessary
for video streaming. This is a show-stopper for you until you change ISPs.

choose some other service provider than the one you are using now,
eg: DSL over the phone line, a cable provider, or satellite service

surprisingly, after checking it up, there are only two more services and theyre both from the same company... i live in small country :S

and there are other sites that i can video stream from like google video, so that cant be the problem...

Oh man.. Just ignore jobeard. YouTube uses standard HTTP methods and ports to stream video.

"Can not watch videos" means what? Does the player app load? The video is blank?

thats fine with me ;)

however
Code:
[U]Application      Port used                                Description[/U]
QuickTime 4 	[B]RTSP[/B] 	                                 streaming audio, video *
RTSP 	          [B]554[/B] 		                         Real Time Streaming Protocol *. Currently (2003-07-05) described in RFC 2326.
Xing StreamWorks [B]1558[/B] 	                           streaming video *
MS NetShow 	[B]1755 1755, dyn >=1024 <=5000[/B] 	         streaming video *
Abacast 	[B]4000-4100, 4500, 9000-9100[/B] 	    peer-to-peer audio and video streaming. 
Real Audio & Video 	[B]RTSP, 7070 	6970-7170[/B] 	streaming audio and video
CU-SeeMe, Enhanced CUSM [B]7648, 7649, LDAP, 7648-7652, 24032[/B] videoconferencing
Liquid Audio 	[B]18888 		[/B]streaming audio

best wishes

Easy. Connect through a VPN w/ encryption. Your ISP will be unable to block any of your traffic.

Advising someone to change ISPs when they could simply use a VPN or a proper Proxy demonstrates a lack of understanding.

Encryption is great and may assist. VPN requires two endpoints; you and someone to connect to. Not all sites will support the VPN connection.

Encryption only hides the content. Filtering and blocking most frequently occur
on IP addresses and/or ports being used, so both VPN and encryption would not
be of any assistance :)

Okay I'm a bit confused now, but what i mean by the video doesn't work is that in the starting it has the screen that says loading before the video starts right? It never moves past that, just says loading... for forever. Basically the video doesn't load. Didn't get the VPN stuff... and Happy New Year guys :) may it be prosperous...

it could be just a stalled connection or a port redirection being blocked.

can you post the url for investigation?

Gah! Please! Just try to look up things? There is no port redirection. The Youtube player simply makes plain HTTP requests. Everything goes to TCP port 80. That's the magic and the reason of the popularity - it Just Works through all firewalls that allow web browsing.

Chaox: are you sure your proxy supports Youtube? The proxy itself may be blocking it for performance reasons. Try the same proxy server from your home or some other unrestricted place.

Also, your ISP may have content scanning in place that looks at the actual content of TCP connections and blocks video streams for example, The only way around this would be some kind of an encrypting tunnel. Some public HTTPS proxy or something set up between you and a friend (VPN or similar).

And what sort of a proxy is this? Was it something that you configured in your browser properties or is it a web page that you go to and enter the real destination address in some text box?

If it is the latter, then YouTube will never work. You need the kind of proxy you put in your browser properties.

I already answered the question twice. It does not.

Go and watch a video on YouTube. Open up any network connection reporting program. Your firewall may have one and netstat is a Windows command line tool. All connections to YouTube are HTTP.

The proxy site should have instructions for that.. It depends on the type of the proxy and how it is set up.

Also, the exact way depends on which browser you use.

i use Firefox... so i go to the proxy site i use and take the instructions from there? Because i checked on the site i use (tor-proxy.net) and i didn't find any instructions... Do you have a site in mind?

So not a nice solution, tried it out... It was slower than a dial-up connection from the old days... :(
any other suggestions?

and btw Nodsu, your display pic is awesome!

I notice that Tor page recommends using Firefox and the Firefox Tor plugin.

Is that what you tried ?

You could also add the Fasterfox plugin,which may help.

Are you certain that the whole country is blocked from Youtube ? I`m guessing UAE. ;)

God Damn... your right. Nice. But yeah, i did that, with the plugin for tor and fasterfox... slow as a snail... maybe even slower....

I'm sorry, but I do not do anything that would require the knowledge of anonymous proxies. You should ask your friends home and abroad for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back