Inactive Proxy Issues and Internet Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot G. Russian

It's been a while since I've posted, but I had some concern with my computer and our network recently.
Some friends and I all moved in together and got broadband internet. My computer was the only one having problems connecting at first, and when I tried connecting Chrome (and Firefox and IE.) all had problems connecting to the "proxy server." The person from Comcast I talked to said that's not a good sign, as I was connecting to another peer before going to any internet page. (I am assuming making my connection less secure.)

I was wondering what I might need to do? I'm running a Desktop with Windows 7, and I switched from Avast to Microsoft Security Essentials as I accidently downloaded an update to "Windows Defender" a while back, and apparently they have been conflicting. The day I rebooted my computer at the new house, I got an error message from Windows Defender:

"This program is turned off

If you are using another program that checks for harmful or unwanted software, use the Action Center to check that program's statu.

If you would like to use this program, <click here to turn it on>."

I'm unsure what this is, as this has never happened while I was running Avast and had been downloading patches for Windows Defender for several months before. (even a couple of years)

The other error message after this is:

"This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or restart your computer, which will start the service. (Error Code:
0x800106ba"

When I looked this up, it said it was inactive since MsSE is essentially that service, and they conflict. But I've never had this happen when I had Avast, and never got BSoDs while it was running either.

Any help to bring my PC back to great health and hopefully make it more secure would be very helpful. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.com My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.
1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
Windows 7 comes with Windowd Defender installed. You do not need MSE. What happened when you ran the Action Center?
Please download Farbar Service Scanner to the desktop and run it on the computer with the issue.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
Make sure FRST is run under administrator privileges.
Make sure that the Whitelist section is checked.Otherwise, the log will be very long.
You Security programs may prevent the tool from running. If this happens, disable the security program until the scan is completed.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press "Scan".

• It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back